Current Android 2.1 OS Not Compatible with Bluetooth Voice Activation
tom29909

After spending two frustrating days trying to make Bluetooth Voice Activation work with the HTC Incredible Android, I found out from HTC technical support that the Android 2.1 OS is not compatible with Bluetooth Voice Activation.  Supposedly changes to the operating system will correct the problem, but you're out of luck until then.....whenever 'then' is!  It appears that Verizon and HTC  have not choosen to include that information in their marketing material.  A bit irresponsible, especially if you live in a state that requires handsfree operation of your phone in an automobile.   

0 Likes
Re: Current Android 2.1 OS Not Compatible with Bluetooth Voice Activation
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The topic has been beaten to death. None of the current android os releases allow it.  I believe bluetooth voice dialing is available on the Devour but that's a result of a software package added to motoblur. I'm currently running Froyo (Android 2.2) on the Droid and it has it but no one is certain on a release and it will likely take longer for it to reach the Incredible than one running stock android like the droid.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
There is other ways to make handfree calling using the phone and be within the law, but it is true BT voice dialing doesn't work cause the voice dialing app doesn't support bluetooth. Froyo resolves this issue, but as mentioned above it will take longer for the incredible to get the update because of sense compatiability. Once you see froyo on an htc device for ssale, it shouldn't take that long to get the update on the incredible.
0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

It seems that Moto has a workaround in 2.1 on the Droid X:

I was just at VZW store this morning looking at the Droid X (which is currently at 2.1), and specifically asked an employee about this and he showed that it's solved on the Droid X -- he paired his bluetooth and demo'd handsfree dialing it for me.

Unfortunately, the Droid X is probably too large for me or my wife and the Droid Incredible doesn't have a solution for bluetooth handsfree dialing (yet).

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

INterestingly Bluetooth Voice dialing has always been available on Android phones it has just been shut off because the voice recognition software didn't recognize the low sample rates of Bluetooth devices very well.  Google voice recognition doesn't seem to work very well with anything unless you are from northern California. 

0 Likes
angelsmwh

I understand what you are saying in your blog.  However, I aso noticed you have a Droid Eris, not the HTC Droid Incredible.  Do you know if there is a way to make the bluetooth enable voice calling on the Incredible, since they are different phones?

Forgive me, if this sounds too repetetive to you.

Thanks, and have a blessed evening.

0 Likes