DROID UPDATE WITHOUT NOTICE
IWANTMYPHONE
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why are they updating our droids without at least giving us the option to decline or accept it. I don't appreciate anyone trying to dictate or cram this bullshit down our throats!

I can no longer watch videos; website says I need to upgrade to Adobe Flash 9.0, but android does not use this.

Motorola has totally messed up my phone. I cannot clean my history..........why fix something thats not broken! How do I get my old droid back the way it was.

Re: DROID UPDATE WITHOUT NOTICE
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once a new OS is installed, you can't go back to the old one, except by a method that can't be discussed here and which would void your warranty.

To install Flash on your phone (which is no longer supported on Android by Adobe, by the way):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4675670#4675670

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Before any OS Update there is a message that covers the entire screen advising that a new update is available and do you want to install it. It has Install now bottom left and wait until later at the bottom right. If you select the Install Now it will install the OS instantly. If you select the Wait until Later, it will decline the update and wait for another time (usually until you reboot the phone before asking again. It will not do a drive by installation and the user MUST select Install before it installs.

Adobe Flash is NO longer supported by Adobe, and the Chrome Browser in ICS does NOT support Flash. You can still download Flash from Adobe or in some cases from Google Play. You can also install Dolphin or Skyfire browsers that do still support Flash and be able to view the Flash Based clips while on ICS.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

That is true what Jake Said)  i have Gingerbread on my one Razr Maxx and i see the Update come on my phone just every other Day) i ignore it and go on.. As for putting Flash on something that's not been set up for it I am a little Leary about doing that..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260901/android_flash_player_rip_how_to_get_it_now_that_its_gone.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/flashruntimes/certified-devices.html

0 Likes
mark38090
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with the two saying there is a chance to not install, BUT... they should notify you that it is a total software change and that you are getting a new OS completely.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, for folks who follow these things and anxiously awaited ICS, the update was good news.  However, for folks who had no idea it was coming (heck, a lot of people don't know what ICS is) and what it involved, it was rather unexpected.  I hope your installation went well and that you have no issues.

0 Likes
ChipNinja
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're missing the point.  I'm pretty pissed off about the most recent OTA as well.

The issue here is that there was not  an option to decline.  So those of us that didn't want to update had to choose between accepting it immediately, or being spammed to death with "install now" or "install later" messages.  If you selected "install later" the exact same OTA update would pop up again, sometimes in as little as five minutes.

So, on top of not even having the choice of whether we want to upgrade or not some of us are having a whole lot of other issues.  Personally, I've got to deal with a hassle you apparently can't discuss, my wi-fi is stuck in a constant on state, and I can no longer charge the phone via PC.  Due to the latter, it's currently sitting here dead, otherwise I'm sure I could come up with a longer list.

I've got to say that overall I'm very disappointed.  I never once had an OTA forced down my throat when I was with Sprint.  Maybe it varies by phone model, but I doubt it.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I am not missing the point at all. The way those notifications work is they are put out on your phone and you either accept and install now, or you install later. If you choose later it will NOT pop back up until one of 2 things happens.

1) you reboot your phone

2) 24 hours have passed.

They are giving you the option to not install it. If you get the notice and are not sure what it is for you would select wait for later and then you could research it and see if you wanted to install it now or not.  If you do not install it now, yes it will keep telling you it is available.

0 Likes
ChipNinja
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've worked for wireless companies before, so I get how OTA's work.  In theory you're right, it shouldn't pop up until rebooting or a day later.  You don't know me, but I have no reason to lie to you for that very reason.  I can say with 100% certainty that it didn't happen that way.  I had two update popups within a five minute period.

Either way you look at it, its either choose to be hit with messages once a day (when things are working correctly), or install immediately.  When you're constantly called by one company via phone you can say don't call again, and when they don't listen and call anyway you can sue for harassment.  The simple solution is add in a "do not notify me again."

Perhaps it was a bug or a fluke, but it did happen.  And so far the most recent update has caused me nothing but trouble.  Given the number of people that rely heavily on their phones I think that it's pretty poor form for things to go down the way they did.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Jake i totally agree with ya!  I don't remember how many times now that Notice has came and i simply Declined it on my one Maxx) and i actually in the last few Weeks haven't even seen it. On my other Maxx it's running I.C.S and is doing as normal as it can about the Same as Ginger with a few more Perks..

And one's saying that this OS was just sprung out and all of a sudden i had to update i say all "Bull"  this Update for the Bionic has been Talked about just as Much as it was for the Razr's and i all heard was O God if i don't get I.C.S i don't know what i'm going to Do  You got it take the Plunge, it might be a Bumpy ride for a while but you hold on and as with OS's in the Past it should smooth out..