Data Roaming in Japan with the Android Bionic - or not...
DavidSchwarz

I signed up for a global data plan using my Android Bionic. I can receive calls without a problem and I'm able to place calls. However despite my best efforts I am unable to use any data on my phone (every time I try I get the message "No Data Connection" . I have enabled data roaming and checked all of the settings I can find. Anybody care/able to tell me what I'm doing wrong? It's a major inconvenience to not have data access while here. FWIW, I'm in Kobe, which according to the map should have full voice and CDMA data coverage.

0 Likes
Re: Data Roaming in Japan with the Android Bionic - or not...
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe the 4G phones are capable of international data roaming. At least not at the moment. Can you sign into your MyVerizon from a computer and check if you have international data roaming listed as a feature on the account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DavidSchwarz

Thanks for the reply Ann. I am currently signed up for "Global Data 4G" and made sure to confirm the rider on my account before I left. There was no mention of a lack of 4G support by any of the representatives I spoke with, all of whom were told of my destination. Does this mean that a 3G phone should work?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure. I know that my Nexus according to my account has a feature on that says domestic data only or something to that affect. This works for me because I don't plan to travel out of country anytime soon.

If you have added the global data plan to your account, I don't know why it isn't working for you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sds230

I am in Tokyo right now and my Galaxy Nexus is also not able to get a data connection.  Before I left I enabled global data and the rep told me my data should work just fine.  Please post back if you resolved your problem.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Kiroa

It's a bit of a relief I'm not the only one having the issue... I have droid bionic with global data plan as well. I'm in center of Tokyo and don't have data connection as well. Any resolution would be great.

0 Likes
DavidSchwarz

Good luck to all of us on getting any resolution soon. I have contacted Verizon twice by email but so far my requests for assistance have been ignored. Apparently they don't have any administrators on this board either. I guess customer service is as foreign to them as proper data handling in Japan.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a user peer to peer forum. We don't have access to your account information.

Have any of you call the global services number for help?

0 Likes
Kiroa

Hey everyone,

So I just called the verizon customer service whom connected me to global data customer service (or whatever the name was...)

Basically most cities in Japan doesn't support CDMA network, which is required for Bionic (and I'm assuming for Nexus as well) for data roaming. Most of Japan's network is using GSM. I believe some Verizon android phones supports GSM, though not sure which ones they are.

I asked her when I signed up for the global service plan, why the customer rep didn't check my phone's incompatibility for Tokyo. She said that the customer service will usually only check at the country level, and not by cities. On their system, Japan is shown as eligible as some cities does support CDMA.

I also asked which cities support CDMA network, and she said Sendai, Yokohayam, Osaka, Toyama. Probably there's few others but that was enough as a list for me.

David, I didn't check if Kobe has CDMA coverage (as you stated), so for your case, I'm not sure if my issue applies.

Btw, I stopped my global data service plan immediately, as there's no use. However the lady that helped me out was very helpful in detail so kudos to her!

0 Likes
Kiroa

David,

Actually there's one thing you can check if you're on bionic. Go to settings -> About phone -> Status.

There should be "Mobile network type"  and "Mobile network state" on there.

In my case, network type says unknown, and network state says disconnected.

However every 30 seconds or so, network type changes to CDMA - eHRPD and network state to connecting, but it gets back to disconnected. It is trying to connect but it's not finding coverage.

If you're getting the same thing, it may be the case that your area doesn't have CDMA coverage.

0 Likes