Droid 3 getting very hot!
Dfwgrl

My Droid 3 I have noticed is getting very hot when ever it is charging.  Like to the point it hurts to hold.  I dont' use it while it is charging.  What is the deal with it getting so hot?  And plus it isn't charging with my car charger.  Any suggestions?  I LOVE my phone...but just getting nervous about it getting so hot.

0 Likes
Re: Droid 3 getting very hot!
Iain1

Similar problem here. Mine is a Droid 2. I powered up my Droid last week and it immediately downloaded the latest OS update. Since then the phone has gone from 3 days without charge to less than four hours and it gets very, very hot. I don't use many functions on this phone. I don't use GPS, Bluetooth. Rarely use apps - it is really used for email and I've not changed any settings. I've found a number of forums out there that speak about similar problems (not necessarily linked to the download) but all of them talk about excessive heat and battery drain even though useage hasn't changed. Lots of talk about dramatically shortened battery life occurring at the same time as the heat issue. A number of people have changed their battery but no one is reporting that it fixed the problem. It is almost as is this OS update has caused a background program to run constantly. People say that if you use apps a lot the unit can get very hot so it would make sense.

An email to Verizon came back with a response that there were no reports of any problems with the latest OS update but there is enough noise out there on the forums that suggests that something is wrong.

0 Likes
Iain1

One other thing. My battery usage screen says that "wakelock" (whatever that is) is using 33% of the power, followed by 30% "Phone idle" then 23% "cell standby". So over 50% is phone idle and cell standby. Four hours or less battery life and lots of heat for the phone doing mostly nothing.  Two weeks ago I'd get three days battery for doing the same and no heat.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How hot is it getting?

Try installing this app and report back how warm it is getting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.systempanel#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwibmV4dGFwcC5...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dfwgrl,

Good afternoon! I am sorry to learn that the device is getting that hot while charging. It is definitely normal for the device to become warm to the touch while connected to a charger, but never hot. Is the entire phone becoming hot to touch, or just the area on the back of the device where the battery lies? You mention it not charging with your vehicle charger. When did this stop? Are you using the original charger included with the device? It is important to remember to use only approved chargers and batteries for each device. I recommend trying a different outlet to charge the phone. Also, while cool, check the battery for any blemishes, swelling, or dents. Please let me know further information so I and the community can continue assisting.

Thank you,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's been having this issue since the latest software update was rolled out. Whew!

My phone has been getting scorching hot. It has reached 120 degrees at one point. That's just the one time that I checked for sure. I haven't been having this problem for months & then they rolled out this update and blam-o! The battery life itself had also dropped tremendously as well.   My usage has not altered either.

Nope. I'm not a  happy camper.

0 Likes
syzygymfl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing extremely hot phone/battery but usually not with charging, just with same use.  Have had same phone for almost two years and just with recent upgrade phone goes from lasting 3 days to lasting four hours.  Only connectivity I have is bluetooth and then only in the car.  Have not changed my usage and for the most part only use it for e-mail, phone and txt.  It DOES get very hot very fast if I use the maps function.

I also routinely now get an error message that says VZ Navigator can't load and i need to force close it.  Frankly never use it and would just as soon delete it but can't figure out how

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi syzygymfl,

Are you still using the original battery that came with the phone? You mentioned that you have had the phone for almost 2 years. You may need a new battery.

If this started happening right after the sw update, one thing you can try is performing a hard reset. Some times it is helpful to perform a hard reset after a sw update. http://bit.ly/n1gYBs

If you continue to have this issue after the hard reset or replacing the battery please post back so I can further assist.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dstiles377

I am having the same issue... My phone recently updated a few days ago, and since then my phone is getting really hot and the battery drains in a couple hours while sitting still on stand-by.  Nothing else has changed besides the update.  What would a hard reset do?  It sounds like I would lose a lot. 

0 Likes
j55

I was having the same issue with my phone, a Droid 2 purchased Jan 2012.  Didn't change usage, settings, etc.  Got VERY  hot, sometimes while charging, sometimes just while idle.  Hot to touch hot, not just warm.  Battery also began draining so it wouldn't hold a charge reliably...sometimes only a couple hours with little to no use, after being able previously to go 3 days without recharging.  I use very few aps.  Took to Verizon store where service rep reviewed aps and usage, changed some settings, said try for a week or so and if no improvement, they would likely give me new battery to try; if that didn't work, they would likely replace the phone as they have been having issues with this phone.  The settings changes made NO difference.  Went back to store about 10 days later and repeated service/battery/problems.  This service rep skipped new battery step and just put in for a "new" (refurbished) phone to be sent to me.  Today I'm in the process of setting up the new phone which came via mail.  It would not set up automatically following screen instructions, but customer service came on the phone and did something from their end that allowed me to continue the activation.  Now my phone is working...sort of.  It will not allow my yahoo.mail account to load as an app. so I can't access my email (main reason I'm paying for this phone/plan.)  Have tried a dozen times including closing my inbox on my computer, restarting phone/email install from first screen and re-entering name/password a bunch of times, and everything else I could think of.  Tried camera, which works, but is "grainy" compared to my first phone, and pictures are not  re-sizing/acclimating to direction of screen (tall/wide view) to allow for bigger viewing of picture as before.  Guess it's back to the Verizon store for 3rd time unless someone has some help here.  I would also be leary of a hard reset without more info.

0 Likes