Droid 4 battery reporting 90% then dying within a few minutes.
flagrant99
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a droid 4 for about a month now, but lately it has just been dying for seemingly no reason. When I plug it in it shows batter at 5 percent. When I start it up it shows battery at 90%. Then it dies a few minutes later. I think when android is on I can't trust the battery reading. Do I need to replace the phone?

0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 battery reporting 90% then dying within a few minutes.
flagrant99
Enthusiast - Level 3

It just did it again but this time I got down to 61% battery. Within 5 minutes of being at 61% it shutoff. Plug it in and battery shows 0%. How can it go from 60% to 0% in 5 minutes? I even downloaded another battery monitor to check and it seems to match what is in system.

0 Likes
flagrant99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Talked to level 2 motorolla support and they never heard of this problem and they said to do a factory reset. The factory reset did not help. Yesterday I got it all the way down to 5 percent. Thought it was fixed by taking off case and back cover. But problem is back today. So now I think the only difference was I tried to kill it by playing lots of videos. Under normal use again it didn't go below 70%. I took a screen shot (taken from Android Settings, Battery Information, Battery Use, Click on Top) clearly shows the problem where battery level dives like a cliff straight down.best2.JPG

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

You most certainly shouldn't lose battery signal so rapidly, flagrant99.

Is there anything that was recently added to the Droid 4 that could deplete the battery life? Have you installed a battery saving application from the Play Store?

Is the phone charging normally? Are you using the wall charger vs. USB charger?

Here are some battery saving tips that you can use, but it honestly sounds like we may need to replace the battery for you as long as it hasn't been exposed to any liquid or physical damage.

If you'd like, I can ship the battery to you or you can go to a store to get a replacement (if they have them in stock).

If you want me to send it, feel free to DM me with your name/number.

Tamara H.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
flagrant99
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Droid 4 phone has the battery glued in. Not sure why they did that. Verizon Phone support sait I had to get a certified like new one. I got a replacement now and so far so good (have it 1 day). With the old phone battery was eratic with it's readings. The funny thing is the last day I had it, it went all the way to 1 percent before dying. Still last Friday 3 times I did a full 100% charge it would die within 1-2 hours. During charging it would jump from 0 percent to 100 percent in 5 minutes.

Lots of other post over here as well on this problem.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/79fe0fd0a2

0 Likes
Rasta

Same problem on a 2 day old phone.

0 Likes
phoenixfangor

I am having the exact same issue.  My phone is less than a year old.

0 Likes
MiluSerb

Droid 2 had same problem. Battery would die and charging it was a pain. I had warranty replaced my Droid 2 about twice. Samething happen as they gave me refurbished. I was pretty upset at Verizon for giving me two more Droid2 that had same problem in the start with my original phone. I pretty much talked my way into them giving me a Droid 3 as a warranty replacement for my 3rd time around. They did and my service is going to be up this FEB 2013. I think I will go with a iphone 5 and stay away from Motorola.

0 Likes