Droid Reviews
Count400

I am thinking of getting the Droid. Almost all the reviews are positive. Yet when I look in this forum there seem to be many issues that are meking me hesitate. What do you think?

0 Likes
Re: Droid Reviews
callmemarc
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only major across the board issue is the camera which is supposed to be fixed with a software update

0 Likes
del2484

People aren't going to seek out a message board because they love their phone. They're going to do it because they either have a question or want to vent about something being wrong with it. You have to keep in mind the venue. I've had my phone for two days so far and love it. My only gripes are that it's a little heavy and the camera isn't great, but that's supposedly going to be fixed with a software update in a month.

0 Likes
mricet1005
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had mine for 3 days and love it so far. No real issues. The physical keyboard takes some getting used to but I am not a huge messaging person anyway. The screen is fabulous leading to a great experience processing email, facebook, or the web. The Google Navigation system is awesome, especially due to the voice recognition for telling it where to navigate too. If you use the web alot, the battery drains pretty quick, but my daughters Blackberry does too. I would definitely recommend it.

0 Likes
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

I love the droid, but can't stand the PHONE. I've never lost this many calls before... not even on my first phone in 1996. My verdict at this point is that it's great that I can look at the sky, check the internet, play games... but if the phone doesn't work right... I cannot reccomend this phone.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

y'all must have some bad luck with phones.

when i got the EnV3, that all people were saying. its a bad phone, it doesnt do this, it doesnt do that. but my phone was perfect never a problem. sure a drop call every now and then but what service doesnt have drop calls? none of them.

then when i got the droid i had a camera problem, exchanged it and everything is hunky doory. i would say wait for the update (if it falls within you 30 day window) or go and exchange it for another one.

it is a new phone and like all new things they have problems. the storm had its problems, the env3, and now the droid. give it time it will get better.

0 Likes
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

I've never had a problem with a phone before (other than just not liking the LG Dare). I was so excited about the Droid, and was on this forumn for 2 weeks prior trying to learn everything I could about it. I was so excited on 11-6 that I ran out and got one first thing in the morning (not at 6 am.)

My first Droid had a broken "search" button (on bottom right of phone). I don't know how phone calls were, as I think I only made 1 or two calls with phone number 1. I took it back to the store, and had no problem getting an exchange.

I don't make a whole lot of calls, so it took me a few days to notice that I had a problem with the second phone. Almost every call ends with the other person saying... "Are you there?" and the call has to be ended and restarted. I feel a slight vibration each time this happens.

I have seen one other person with this same problem on this forumn.

0 Likes
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I've been using the Droid for a week now, and bottom line... Love the thing!

The good:

1. internet is fast, fast, fast. beats the hell out of the storm, or any blackberry I've ever held. (had a pearl for the last couple years).  Loved the pearl, but the internet was a bit on the slow side.  The Droid is the first device Verizon has had that made me switch from my beloved Blackberry.

1. Screen is beautiful, I mean really, really beautiful.

2. Call quality, at least what i've experienced, is really good. No issues whatsoever.  And the speakerphone (something I use a lot) is clear and loud.

3. Plenty of apps available on the market.  Quite a few really good ones free.  Others average from $.99 to $4-5.  Of course, there will be $20 and $30 ones also.  So far, I haven't found  a need for any like that, except for Docs to Go for $14.

4. Touch screen reacts fast, and just as you would want it to.  At least, it seems fine to me.  This is my first touch screen phone, and other than really wanting to like the Storm 2, the Droid is more responsive, IMHO.

5. I have had no problem getting used to either the onscreen keyboard or the physical one, but I'm not a big texter.  What I have used it for, searches, entering contact info, entering data in forms for the web, and some texting, it works well.

6. there's more good, but I'll stop here for now.

The Bad:

1. No bluetooth voice dialing. Yep, this sucks, and is probably the single stupidest design flaw of the phone.  I mean, come on, what were the developers thinking?  Get your stuff together and fix this.

2. Voice dialing in general, although it works, requires more than just voice.  You must interact with the phone by selecting the choices given on-screen.  Another dumb design FLAW. not choice, FLAW!

3. Can't keep the phone from locking itself. Now this is probably just something one has to live with with touchscreen phones.  Not such a bad deal, but annoying.  I guess this will be something one gets used to??

4. A little too easy to select a choice by touching the phone's screen when you were just repositioning it in your hand.  Again, maybe this is just something to live with on a touchsreen phone.  Too early for me to tell.

5. Camera, when it works, takes pretty good pictures, but it requires many attempts at focusing before it gets it right.  Many different schools of thought on this, and it may be fixed with software updates.  We'll see.

Probably a few more bad things, but again, I'll stop here.  As I said in the beginning, I love the phone.  The good FAR outweighs the bad, and some of the bad will hopefully be fixed with software updates.  Even if none of the bad was fixed, I'll still keep the phone.  It's that good.  Nothing is perfect, and the Droid is no exception.  Considering what it does in such a small package, it's a wonder it works at all.

Oh, and if you're over the age of 45, get the rotary phone app.  It's hilarious, and your kids will wonder what the heck it is.

0 Likes
alxnet

GreySeal wrote:

Ok, I've been using the Droid for a week now, and bottom line... Love the thing!

The good:

1. internet is fast, fast, fast. beats the hell out of the storm, or any blackberry I've ever held. (had a pearl for the last couple years).  Loved the pearl, but the internet was a bit on the slow side.  The Droid is the first device Verizon has had that made me switch from my beloved Blackberry.

1. Screen is beautiful, I mean really, really beautiful.

2. Call quality, at least what i've experienced, is really good. No issues whatsoever.  And the speakerphone (something I use a lot) is clear and loud.

<edit>

The Bad:

1. No bluetooth voice dialing. Yep, this sucks, and is probably the single stupidest design flaw of the phone.  I mean, come on, what were the developers thinking?  Get your stuff together and fix this.

2. Voice dialing in general, although it works, requires more than just voice.  You must interact with the phone by selecting the choices given on-screen.  Another dumb design FLAW. not choice, FLAW!

3. Can't keep the phone from locking itself. Now this is probably just something one has to live with with touchscreen phones.  Not such a bad deal, but annoying.  I guess this will be something one gets used to??

Agree with most points.  Pixel packing high-density screen is easy on the eyes.  I've had great call quality on my phone with nary a dropped call in sight.  I haven't used bluetooth yet, but yes, ommitting bluetooth voice dialing is a bonehead move.  Still, it's a new platform on new hardware so hopefully they'll take it all into consideration.

On your third point, there are free apps on the market place that will solve this problem by enabling a sleep with no locking mode.  Puts the screen to sleep but wakes up with a push of the volume/camera button with no swiping required.

<Edit:  Try ScreenModeWidget by Sam Chiu>

BTW, the included turn-by-turn Google GPS is a huge bonus.  The layers are great - I use the traffic layer which overlays Google's highly accurate traffic data onto the turn by turn routes (something Tomtom's $100 iPhone app has yet to do).

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I love my Droid. 

I did have to exchange it for a hardware issue but the new one works great.

The app store never ceases to amaze me how there is something new every day.  Labryinth Lite is a totally cool game - try it out.

The sound quality on calls is terrific.  The screen is terrific - responsiveness of touch is great.

Only complaints are email related - things stay new when they shouldnt.   A software fix hopefully.  Also there need to be more ringtone options.  I want an alert sound on an SMS but not an email.   I want vibrate to only do it once or twice not until I read it.

A bunch of small things.

I downloaded ScreenModeWidget and it works well.  I'm not sure if I will keep it because the swipe isnt bad but if this is in my pocket it may turn on by accident.

0 Likes