Droid X on the road
admsteck

Since most of the posts on boards like this tend to be people searching for solutions to problems, I thought I would lighten things up with a positive post about how helpful a device like the Droid X can be.  My wife and I live in northwest Ohio and just got back from a unscheduled trip to southern Maine.  Since we left on very short notice, we didn't have much time to prepare for the trip.  Consequently, we had no hotel reservations, no directions, and not much in the way of other plans.  Fortunately, I had my Droid X and my wifes Droid 2.  I was able to search for hotels and make reservations using Google maps and the browser and then navigate straight to the hotel using Google Navigation.  Finding places to eat or a Target store to walk around to stretch our legs was just as easy.  Navigation worked so well we stopped on the way home to buy a car mount.  Fruit Ninja kept the 4 year old busy for a while at one stop, and the camera got some use when we stopped at Niagara Falls and the coast near Kennebunkport.  The panorama assist was really cool at Niagara.  Also used a few other apps to keep track of the hotel reservations as well as the standard email, sms, and phone calls.  If we had more time I probably would have pulled out the Geocaching app as well.  In all, both Droids preformed better than expected.  I did have to reboot the X a few times, but I think one of the hotel apps I downloaded was buggy and may have been causing the instability.  I was able to use the X for navigation and the 2 for searching and then when I found our destination, send the address to the X via text. Having the Droids in the car made the trip much easier and I couldn't have been more pleased.

0 Likes
Re: Droid X on the road
rocknm
Enthusiast - Level 3

DIDDO..............................

I use my X for everything, sold my 400 dollar Garmin and replaced it with a 40 dollar car dock and ive got a X-GPS that will smoke anything out there.  Been using it for a while with no issues and loving it.  However, this last weekend I drove to the folk's place and was very disappointed to  find out that it only works if you have cell phone signal.  We drove about an hour threw a dead zone and i lost the maps all together, just a dot on the screen.  This really wasnt an issue at the time because I have driven that rout my whole life, but left me to think, what if I was in unfamiliar territory, this method of navigation would leave me blind. Makes me wonder if i should pick up a cheap gps for back up, but that would really defeat the point in my opinion.  Is there a way to download maps to have them oncall when not in a service area?

0 Likes