Droid X - reboot at enter PIN screen, maps reboot
rpmahone

Moto DroidX

Android Version: 2.3.3

VZW version: 4.5.605.MB810

2 issues:

1. - When phone has been idle and locked screen. i will slide the bar to unlock.  at this point the phone will freeze, only displaying the box for the pin number to enter, and never shows the number pad below to actually enter the pin.  After it shows only the pin number entry window for about 2-3 seconds, the phone reboots. starting at the liquid metal effect displaying the word DROID.  then continues to reboot as it normally would and will work for several days just fine, then happen again.  Usually several days apart.  Its not a huge deal, but kind of annoying.

2. - Google maps, while in navigation. - this one is actually the most important to resolve, as i travel allot via car for work.  The real world scenario is i am on a trip from Memphis to Nashville which is about 3.5 hours connected via I-40 all the way through.  the details of the scenario are that i use the car dock, and go to Google maps, then to my places and navigate to a saved place.  (I have tried not using the car dock at all and placing the phone in the console and duplicating this process, same result).  Typically after about 60-120 minutes i will either notice that the Google maps page (the blue arrow following along with the route) is not updating, and frozen.  no hard keys pressed will do anything, the screen does not respond to taps or tap and holds.  then after about a minute or so the phone vibrates for half a second, then reboots (or i have also done the battery pull to speed up this process).  Or i will notice that the phone is rebooting, i would assume the same as above except that i didn't touch anything and it finally just rebooted.  most times it has not rebooted when i have needed to actually follow directions, however this could cause issues/annoyances if it did.

1. I have cleared the cache of the app in the settings > applications > maps page
  2. i have uninstalled the maps updates back to factory then re installed current update of maps.
  3. i have done the clear phone cache by holding home button down on boot-up, and cleared the cache that way.
  4. I have also done a factory reset.

none of these fixed either issue.

things of note:

• i have had the phone in the car dock while navigating via Google maps, and out of the car dock
  • i have had the phone plugged in, and not plugged in to the car charger
  • due to my geographic knowledge of the areas that i travel in, i know that at least 90% of the time it happens, it happens in areas where i have great 3G VZW coverage.
  • it has happened in areas where i have used the pre-cache option to pre-cache the area prior to travels.

Any ideas?  Anyone had this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Droid X - reboot at enter PIN screen, maps reboot
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Very strange - especially since you say that you did a Factory Reset. When you DID the FR, did you auto-re-install all your APPS after signing back in the first time? It REALLY sound to me that you have a rogue 3rd party APP.  I use MAPS & Navigation all the time -- I did an 8 hour trip - each way - and had NAV running the entire time while also checking email, twitter, streaming music, et al ...  no problems at all.  So, how to try to fix?

For the Navigation issue:

- I would boot into SAFE MODE and try running your entire trip in that mode. that way it won't load 3rd party APPS. You can still check email & use your phone & other basic functions, but widgets and such won't load. You'll be running native Moto Blur.

- If you still have the issue, maybe do a Factory Reset again - but turn off the option that automatically reinstalls your APPS. (but make a list of the ones you MUST have as they may vanish from your Market list. That's been MY experience.)

to get into SAFE MODE:

- Power off

- Press & Hold the MENU button

- Power up the phone - continue to hold the MENU button for 1-2 mins.

Phone should come up & say SAFE MODE in lower left corner.

TEST .. and while you're at it, you can test to see if the Slide to Unlock issue goes away as well ... if so, bad APP causing it.

Good luck

0 Likes
rpmahone

Cody,

thanks for the advice...  By Rogue app do you mean Malicious/Virus/Malware? or just an app that doesn't play well with others?

phone is in safe mode now, and will see if this fixes the lock screen issue and i'll try it on my next road trip.

thanks for the tip, hope that works!

Is there a list of "known" bad apps whether malicious or just buggy?  or know any from your previous experience?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

"rogue app" to me means one that causes running services issues - like steals process from the CPU causing lags or crashes, or interferes with other APPs on the device. This device is a computer after all. Anti-Virus is something else - just one of the additional issues that can happen. You can install a free anti-virus app for that issue .. I use OUTLOOK which works very well.

Let us know how SAFE MODE is working for your trip.  good luck

0 Likes
rpmahone

Well...   safe mode worked... 4.5hrs... no problems.  crap....  now i have to find out which app it is....   i did a search on the market aand couldnt find it...  what is the exact name of the app ?   i guess  it was good news... i guess    🙂

cody...  what are the other bootup shortcuts ?  besides safe mode....

thanks for your tip!

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Not sure what you mean by "did a find in market and couldn't find it".

As far as trying to find the culprit, now this is the tough part of it. Since you were successful in SAFE MODE, you definitely did/downloaded something that introduced the issues. I would tackle it like this:

- Can you put your finger on WHEN the issue started? Like some rough date. if you can, go into your MARKET and Sort the installed apps by INSTALL (or Download) DATE. Make a list of all Apps installed after that date and just uninstall them. Boot to regular mode & test for a while.

- If you can't single out a specific date, then just start uninstalling APPS - most recently installed to latest. Again, this can be as slow a process as you wish to make it ... 

- (recommended) or just pull the trigger & do a Factory Reset -- but do NOT automatically reinstall your APPS (there's a setting for that in the Factory Reset panel.) But make sure you make a list of all your APPS you downloaded. In my experience you will lose that entire list after a Factory Reset. if you do this, start with a fresh slate and redownload things slowly .. Test along the way.

As far as a list of "bad apps" ?  uh, not that I'm aware of. But when you DO wish to download a 3rd party App, pay attention to the comments/reviews ... and don't download something that doesn't have a lot of downloads already (like 5,000+). If there are major issues, they usually  get reported to the developer/App.

good luck.

0 Likes
rpmahone

you mentioned the app "outlook"  when i searched for it a bunch of outlook email clients/etc. came up.  what is the name of your app called?  

- i have no idea when it started happening.

- yuck! 🙂

- i believe that the market, now that i have already had to reset to factory settings has the list of apps (apps).  it shows up under my library in the market.

i think i am going to just use safe mode on my trips...  one thing that i noticed on this particular trip is that i lost gps/cell service several times and it (the places i travel are waaaaaaaaay of the beaten path and street addresses are well just not valid at that point.  in fact i have to go by satellite view then put the marker and put it in my maps for most of the destinations....my upgrade is set is for August, so i think i am just gonna do that until that date.  thanks for the safe mode tip.  i appreciate it.

so aside from the safe mode bootup sequence arent there a few other bootup options?  one other site i found  had a mode where you could clear the phone cache and a few other things but i cant remember exactly what that was.  can you post those other bootup sequences if you know them?  i think it was boot phone and hold the volume keys??   are there any other bootup options??

thanks again for all your help/time cody!

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Freudian slip - I use OUTLOOK on my PC ... lol ... anyway, the antivirus app I use is LOOKOUT

The other maintenance boot-up sequence is the one that gets you to the Wipe Cache & Factory Reset options. That's the only other one ... it's done by holding the HOME button (vs. the MENU button like you just did). When you hold the HOME button, you'll come to "Andy android in a Triangle". Once there, you press BOTH the volume controls buttons AT THE SAME TIME. It brings up a blue menu. Use the Up & Down volume buttons then to go thru the menu. Press the Power Button once to select the menu option. This is where the other way to do a Factory Reset can be found. WIPE CACHE is very safe to do and highly recommended if you're having issues.

Good luck.

0 Likes