Droid X - screen grayed out & no connection
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

This morning I was checking my gmail on my phone.  All of a sudden the screen started getting fuzzy with lines, then I lost my connection.  I can only view the time and date at the top of the screen.  It's showing today is Aug 20th, 4:18am.  It's also in airplane mode.  I've tried taking the battery out with no luck.

I'm guessing when I go to the Verizon store during my lunch hour, I'll likey receive a new phone.  This is my 2nd refurbished phone in less than a year.  My first Droid X had to be replaced 2 weeks after receiving it because it was reboot sporadically (really ticked my mom off because it always happened when I was on the phone with her).

So of course, my phone is setup just like I like it.  If I get a "new" phone, how much information will transfer.  Most of my app info is on my SD card.  Will I need to reinstall all my apps? Will I still have access to my photos?

I'm still learning about the phone and all the quirks.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stacey

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid X - screen grayed out & no connection
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Thanks for that clarification @bearone ..  I've never had to go through a replacement, fortunately.

So Stacey - all the more reason to make sure you either get your stuff copied off the card - or when you get your new one, don't let them Factory reset (or flash) the phone with your card in the new phone -- else they MAY end up reformatting your card!  Hopefully they'll just give you the replacement w/o the card & already "set up" ready for you. Then just stick the card in and you're ready to go with data preserved..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

If you have personal data on your SD Card that you want to save (e.g., Pics, video, music, ringtones), I would remove the Card and stick it in a PC reader (if you have one) and copy that data off of it. Because when you get the next new phone it will either come with an SD Card in it that won't have any of this (or your APPS), or you can swap your card into the new phone - and then have access to your data. But any 3rd party APPS that you installed will have to be re-downloaded. I would go into MARKET (Online) and make a list/notes of which APPS you installed ... My personal experience is that the FREE apps "vanish" from Market at some point after a Factory Reset ...  others have NOT experienced them vanishing ... so YMMV. I would make a note of which ones you "MUST HAVE", just in case. And of course you'll have to go through the pain of setting all your preferences back up.   Good luck.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i don't believe the replacement phone comes with an sd card.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Thanks for that clarification @bearone ..  I've never had to go through a replacement, fortunately.

So Stacey - all the more reason to make sure you either get your stuff copied off the card - or when you get your new one, don't let them Factory reset (or flash) the phone with your card in the new phone -- else they MAY end up reformatting your card!  Hopefully they'll just give you the replacement w/o the card & already "set up" ready for you. Then just stick the card in and you're ready to go with data preserved..

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

btdt, my son had to go thru a replacement after gb killed his dx. it's worked perfect after the change.

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Cody21 and bearone21.

Went to the Verizon store, no explanation, just said I have the "screen of death."

They are overnighting me a phone. It will be HARD to be without a phone for at least 24 hours.  A lot of my apps are from Amazon, so hopefully I can reinstall without trouble or additional cost (all were free).

My husband just laughs because he's never had one issue with his phone and we bought them at the same time.  Let's keep our fingers crossed I don't get a THIRD lemon of refurbished phone. 

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am VERY aggravated with Verizon.  I still haven't received my replacement phone I was told would arrive Saturday.  I called Customer Service Saturday evening (their online tracking system has been experiencing "technical difficulties") and they told me I was misinformed because FedEx doesn't deliver on Saturdays. That's BS...FedEX does deliver, they just didn't pay the extra fee for Saturday delivery.  They told me they could call around to the local stores to get me a loaner phone.  No thanks....that's more of hassle.  So I went all weekend and all today without a phone.  Their online tracking system is still down.  Let's hope their promise that it will arrive by 3pm is true. 

My husband said I should request a discount this month for being without a phone nearly 4 days.  I plan to submit a complaint.  The Verizon Store I went to should have known I wouldn't receive the phone until Monday and offer me a loaner on the spot.

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a way to reset my current phone (with the SD card removed) once I receive my new phone?  Concerned about my personal information and access to my accounts.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Do a Factory Reset .... after removing your card. You can do this from the Menu / Settings / Privacy Settings / Factory Data Reset  ...  just don't login to it when it completes.

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll try, but since I can't only see 1/3 of my screen, it may be difficult.

0 Likes