Droid bionic random/constant rebooting and freezing.
Pigbearman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello all,

I've had the Bionic since it came out and never really had a problem with it (other than the 3G dropping). Never rooted it or installed any untrustworthy apps, so this isn't a user problem as far as I can tell.

This is what's happening:

Two days ago while I was driving to class, I noticed a noise. Looked down and my Bionic was restarting itself. I figured it could have been some updates or something so I didn't think much of it. Then it happened again about 20 minutes later. After that, it didn't happen again all day. So I wake up the next morning for class and look at my phone (alarm going off) as I'm about to shut the alarm off, the screen goes black and pops up with the dual core screen. Drive to school again and it restarts 3 times while driving this time. One hour class it restarts 5 times. Go to work and it probably restarts 20 times in an 8 hour period. I get home, and by then it's constant restarts. Phone might be on for 5 minutes then it will restart. So I do a factory reset on the phone and it does nothing. It actually seems like the restarts have increased in frequency. It restarted 5 times while I was typing this paragraph. Also sometimes it'll just freeze like this morning it was on the dock and stuck at 5:10am, when it was 10 am. Or it will freeze on the Dual-Core screen when rebooting.

So what exactly can I do? I installed logcat somehow but the logs don't really seem to tell me anything. I insalled OSmonitor and watched the logs and it kept saying CPU1 Shutting down, booting secondary CPU over and over and over, so I think some hardware is screwed up here.

1. Should I call or go to the store? I'm not really sure what the return policy is. I'd like to get a replacement right away and not have to drop money on stupid shipping costs.

2. Is it possible to get a different model phone? I've heard too many problems with the Bionic to make me want to get another one. I'd love to get the Nexus without dropping $700.

3. Is there any possible fix i'm overlooking here? A factory reset was the last ditch effort as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Droid bionic random/constant rebooting and freezing.
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Pigbearman

I'm very sorry to hear about your Bionic resetting. We can definitely look into this and address all of your questions. Thank you for the great descriptions and the troubleshooting you have already completed.

Please power the device in safe mode and retest. This will let us know if the issue is caused by an application or the software on the device. Here's a link for safe mode: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=47270

Let me know if the device resets in safe mode. You wouldn't have to go to a store. The manufacturer's warranty would cover the same make and model device. So if there was no liquid or physical damage we can order you a replacement with free shipping.

Thank you

JoeL_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: Droid bionic random/constant rebooting and freezing.
Pigbearman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the response.

I logged the number of restarts I had from 11:30am to 11:30 pm on sunday and it was 68 (yes, sixty-eight), and then another 4 the next day. After I read some things online I booted it into safemode and after about 5 minutes it restarted itself, again (did this 3 times in safemode before I hard-reset with the battery). I'm assuming this either shows its the device software or possibly even hardware failure inside. I have re-installed some apps though, and haven't had a problem with it since Monday (well over 24 hours). I'm not confident that will last, but I am afraid that if I do send this one in, they will look over it, determine there is nothing wrong, and then charge me for a second phone or something (I've read some similar happenings online). If I can be sure that this wont happen then I would like to order a replacement device (I assume factory refurbished).

Thanks for your help,

-Brett Tuma

0 Likes