Droid charge won't update
techstrip

My Charge will not accept the OTA 2.3.6 GB update. It reboots and starts to update. About one third through the update it stops and an error icon pops up. The phone then just reboots. If check the update status it says the phone is up to date.

I have also tried to manually update the phone. The same issue occurs during the update process.

Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid charge won't update
davegr
Contributor - Level 2
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello techstrip! Sorry that you've been experiencing difficulties updating the software on your Charge. I can help, but I must get some questions answered. You mentioned in your post that you see error icons popping when the update fails. Can you tell me what the icons say? Also, can you tell me what software version you have now, how long you've owned the phone, and if you purchased the phone new from Verizon Wireless? Thanks!

DionM_VZW

Follow Us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
techstrip

I am running stock software version 2.2.1. This is an update from 2.1 that was on the phone when I first got it, so I know it works. The phone is a refurbished unit from Verizon meant to replace an LG revolution that had problems. I'm not sure how long I've had it. 5 months maybe.

During updating, about one third through the status bar it stops updating and the Icon I see is a triangle with an exclamation point in it over the little android guy. This happens weather I get the OTA update or if I try to manually update with downloaded update.zip. It doesn't actually say anything. If I press the menu button afterward it gives me the status and at what step it failed at. It says:

E:Error in /mnt/sdcard/update.zip

(Status 7)

Intallation aborted.

I hope this helps. This is very frustrating.

Thank you

0 Likes
techstrip

The phone just attempted another OTA update and failed. It jumps right into a reboot so I couldn't look at a status.

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for the information techstrip!

Let me suggest having you remove and reinsert the battery and SIM card, then re-attempt the update.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks again,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
techstrip

The manual update did not work. I'll run a couple power cycles and see what happens with the OTA update. I might also try a virgin SD card for giggles.

Thanks for the help so far.

0 Likes
techstrip

Well, I just Accidentally wiped my phone so I set it back to factory. It still won't accept the update. Aaaarrrggg!!!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sounds like the update doesn't pass the MD5 check at some point.

0 Likes
techstrip

anything i can do about it?

0 Likes
techstrip

Even after a full factory reset (accidental) it won't accept the OTA or manual update.

What I get after a manual update is this:

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

Installing update...

Verifying current system...

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/frame

work/twframework-res.apk", "c181f9067d6c0cb3d764ec

d7e10f6a32c018dd0d", "a4309c9eebf967e4f491cf2ec

d2430f8783be04f")

E:Error in /mnt/sdcard/update.zip