Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Droid3 camera question (again)
hoytpr

So my Droid3 is a couple years old. Kept clean and undamaged. The screen went out once for no reason and it cost me $150 to fix. Now, I have this same camera problem that many, many, Droid3 owners seem to be complaining about. I can take a picture with the "back" camera (the HD one), but when I try to SWITCH to the "front" camera, there is a black screen, a VERY brief message that the camera can't initialize, and then the camera app closes.

Has anyone EVER found a solution for this?

I've tried a lot of things like cache clearing and rebooting, another camera app,  but the problem persists. Would Verizon be willing to try and help me with advice/suggestions?

Phone was never rooted or messed with, there are only a reasonably small number of apps loaded. Despite the sometimes wonky behavior of these phones, I would rather keep my Droid3 than give up the keyboard. However, without the "front" camera, there is no Skype with the grandson. I want to stay with android as I am a linux person, but the Enact by LG phone looks like my only QWERTY option. 

0 Likes
Re: Droid3 camera question (again)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello hoytpr,

We know how important the front facing camera is now and days on a smartphone. With video chat and self portraits becoming more popular, it's difficult to image the wireless world without them. Based on the information that you provided, it appears that the issue may be app related. Just to be sure, can I assume that there isn't any liquid or physical damage on the device? If not then we may have to do a factory reset. Of course we encourage you to back up all personal info on the device before proceeding. For the steps on how to do so, here's a link.

http://vz.to/GEUbC0

Once you have done so, test the camera app before re-downloading any 3rd party apps on the phone or your personal info. If more assistance is needed then we are here to help.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hoytpr

Hello ArnettH_VZW,

Thank you for your suggestions. However, after performing a full factory rest, the problem is exactly the same.

I followed the "preferred" instructions. After opening te camera app, the back camera was working, but upon tapping on the "switch" icon, the camera screen went black, and the same message (camera unable to initialize) appeared very briefly before the camera app closed completely.

Also, once this has happened, the camera app can no longer be opened without immediately crashing in the identical fashion. The phone must be restarted to regain access to the back camera.  This phone isn't damaged and has never gotten wet. The only problem was the LCD screen going bad as I said, and I had it professionally repaired. The camera worked fine after the repair. I have not re-downloaded any of my apps or restored personal info. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate your help.

Peter

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi hoytpr,

Your efforts are greatly appreciated! Have you considered having the device examined by the person who replaced the screen? Based on your description your device may be outside of the warranty but I can happily check in an effort to identify your available options. Please follow me, DM your name and wireless number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

0 Likes
hoytpr

Thank you for your reply. I will attempt to get a response from the repair company today and have   requested to follow you. My phone is out of warranty, although my daughter (her identical phone also had the screen go bad at almost the same time) was able to talk the local store into replacing her phone with a refurbished one.

Sincerely,

Peter

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

You're very welcome, Peter. Please keep us posted. I appreciate you working with us.

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes