Droid4 Upgrade! NOT
LoriMS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to figure out how to contact Motorola directly to let them know what a hassle it is when your phone settings are changed during an "Update of the phone"?

The Shift Key now must be held down to work instead of hitting shift and then the key.  I don't prefer that, didn't get asked, and after wasting way too much of my day today trying to send text, email and even search on the web unsuccessfully (until stumbling on holding the key shift key down being an answer) would like Motorola to take/buy this phone back.  Does anyone know how I would best contact Motorola?  Verizon techs are helpful and nice, so I'm not upset with Verizon. 

My frustration is in having the phone keyboard operation changed without asking or even notifying me that would happen... When I get a new phone, I anticipate needing to learn how it works and make adjustments.  This isn't a new phone and wasn't a good day to have to learn.  Bottom line, I no longer want the phone and believe Motorola should be aware that problems like this aren't acceptable. 

0 Likes
Re: Droid4 Upgrade! NOT
prh2012

You are not alone. I loved this phone for the keyboard. No it is very hard to use.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You're dreaming if you think a manufacturer would, could, or should contact all owners for their impressions or approvals of upgrade changes.  My advice is to download a keyboard app from the Market.

PS:  It just dawned on me that maybe that phone has a physical keyboard.  If that's the case, I have no idea what you can do.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the Droid 4 has a physical keyboard.... the update is downloading to my phone as I type this response... so we'll see how the install and subsequent exploration of JB goes. For me, if the only upsetting change was the fact I had to learn to hold shift while typing a capital...I think I'd learn to hit caps lock instead of Shift (which I tend to do anyway) and then hit it again after the cap is typed... it's one more keystroke but I not worth trading in the phone for....

0 Likes
Not applicable

Or, just skip the caps altogether.  I didn't think people worried about capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc. when texting.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

jimfitzgerald wrote:

... I didn't think people worried about capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc. when texting.

I use the keyboard for far more than texting... I do a LOT of email on the phone, and even when texting, capitalization, punctuation, and proper grammar ARE important to me.   I also "work" on the phone when needed, editing documents with an office-like app.  And I post to Facebook, and Linked In, and Twitter... for me, personally, skipping caps is not an option.  Learning a new/different way to get it accomplished may be a hassle, but doable.  And for me, not worth trashing the whole phone... just my 2¢.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I also try to type correctly, even on text messages.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

LoriMS wrote:

...The Shift Key now must be held down to work instead of hitting shift and then the key.

I just got the update to JB 4.1.2 this morning on my Droid 4 - the Shift key behaves exactly as it did before... I can hit Shift, then the letter key and I get the capital letter, I don't need keep it pressed to get the capital... so I'm not sure what is happening with your phone.  Wish I could be more help!

0 Likes
LoriMS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update on 3/26/13:  The Shift Key is now working!  For anyone who thought it wasn't a big deal that it didn't work, please keep in mind that all of the symbols above the numbers weren't accessible by hitting the Caps Lock key.  Unlike a computer keyboard, the shift key is only on the left side of the Droid keyboard, so this was more than a little inconvenient.  Many thanks for all the comments and to Verizon & Motorola for fixing the problem!

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad it's now working for you!

0 Likes