* For those that got their 2.3.6 update * What do you think? Pros & Cons
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

With every update big and small things will be different, added, removed, and so one. Have you found any new uses or lost functionality? So what's your take on the new update?

0 Likes
Re: * For those that got their 2.3.6 update * What do you think? Pros & Cons
rustyb
11:00 am, Pacific time. It took 10 minutes. The "scan" chip, email, are now gray. The pull down bar, at the top IS gray and green markings. The brown for The rest is still there. :/. There are some apps, I wanted to get, but needed 2.3. Everything else seems faster. :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think I should have left it with Froyo.  GB has done nothing to help my wifi connection and has actually made it worse.  They also took away the ability to use the 13k vocoder which is the only one that made the voice audio quality passble.  The minor new additions are nice, but not worth the losses I discussed. If there was an easy way to go back, I would. {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

curtisdr wrote:

I think I should have left it with Froyo.  GB has done nothing to help my wifi connection and has actually made it worse.  They also took away the ability to use the 13k vocoder which is the only one that made the voice audio quality passble.  The minor new additions are nice, but not worth the losses I discussed. If there was an easy way to go back, I would.  I may end up having to root it after all.

I wonder if this might be one of those instances where doing the factory reset and applying the updates up to 2.3.6 before reinstalling apps will improve things?  Perhaps worth trying as a last resort before taking that last step into the realm of unsupported actions?

0 Likes
xsvenom

I hope it is just his location, perhaps where he lives does not get good signal. So far is Curtis the only one that has an issue with the signal? :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

Curtis -- just so that we are clear... this is your WiFi connection to your own personal network that is degraded after the update to 2.3.6, not communication with the Verizon network, right?

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I found today while trying to take a screencapture of a Youtube video that it will no longer capture the image. I paused a section of video and took a screencature so I could zoom in on some details in a video of speed test results for the Nexus Galaxy but when I went to my gallery this image is black... Here are two examples, one is before the update and the other is after. 

When taken there was a picture here.

I know it was an option before but now it's just another disappointment. 

0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

OK, I appreciate that losing the ability to do something because you installed an "upgrade" is a disappointment.

But if the choice is wait longer for an upgrade or lose that for a while so that others can actually use their phone as a phone without it dropping their voice in the middle of a conversation or having shrill tones blasted in their ears, I'll take the latter.  I'm hoping you feel the same.

0 Likes
russv61

When entering text. If you choose a word from the list, it puts that word in with a space after it. If you then enter punctuation it no longer removes that space.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

majael wrote:

OK, I appreciate that losing the ability to do something because you installed an "upgrade" is a disappointment.

But if the choice is wait longer for an upgrade or lose that for a while so that others can actually use their phone as a phone without it dropping their voice in the middle of a conversation or having shrill tones blasted in their ears, I'll take the latter.  I'm hoping you feel the same.

Aside from hopes of a different look / color scheme, added ffc support for video chat ( which gtalk is still missing so add that to the cons ), and improved 4g stability I thought my Charge to be a great phone. For your I hope the update helps because not being able to use your phone as a phone is ridiculous. 

Note: I must have high standards because the screencaptures I was taking are of the phone I have my eye on to replace my Charge. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus 😄 

http://youtu.be/ySymqERaHEA This vid shows some LTE speed tests of the GN and notice all the missing bloatware in the app drawer. SOOO Sweet 

0 Likes