GOOD NEWS for Outlook users: USB Sync for DROID to Outlook/ACT/Lotus Notes is in the works
rjones

Just got this from the CompanionLink blog. This is good news. It means you can sync your phone with your PC without the Google cloud (and your data on the Web) in the middle.

http://companionlink.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/direct-usb-sync-with-droid/

CompanionLink is working on a direct USB sync for the new Motorola Droid.  This will let users securely sync data by docking their Droid to their PC with the USB cable that came with their phone.

Currently, users of desktop software like Outlook, Lotus Notes, GroupWise and ACT! are required to use a wireless sync protocol.  For example, data syncs from their PC to their Google account, which then natively syncs with the Droid.  CompanionLink for Google provides this functionality between PC and Google.

While this serves the needs of many customers, this can pose security concerns for people who don’t want to host their sensitive data on Google or have it transmitted wirelessly.  CompanionLink is looking to address that with a direct USB sync solution.

Click here to sign up to receive an email announcement when direct USB sync between PC and Droid is available.

0 Likes
Re: GOOD NEWS for Outlook users: USB Sync for DROID to Outlook/ACT/Lotus Notes is in the works
rjones

Update on the CompanionLink USB sync:

Hi Android user!

You signed up to receive an update when CompanionLink finalizes a launch date for our Android USB sync solution.  We have some great news - we expect to launch a direct and secure two-way USB sync solution for Android phones within 90 days.

You will be able to do a wired (USB) sync between your PC and Android phone.  You will not need to use Google or other over-the-air services to transfer, back up, or sync your data.  Everything is securely done using the USB cable that came with your phone.  If you've already purchased one of our products, the new USB sync solution will be a free update for you. 

Our plan is to sync PC contacts to the native address book on Android phones.  For calendar and tasks, we have a refreshingly different approach.  We are developing our own calendar and tasklist apps that will run on Android phones.  These apps will have features beyond the built-in calendar and tasks apps, such as the ability to link calendar events and task items to contacts, categories, priorities, and various sort options.  For example, if you have scheduled a call with someone in your calendar, you will be able to quickly tap on the linked contact name from within the calendar event and call them.  Our goal is to add PC-like functions to those apps that business users have come to expect.

PC software that will be supported:

- MS Outlook

- MS Outlook with Business Contact Manager

- Palm Desktop

- IBM Lotus Notes

- Novell GroupWise

- ACT! by Sage

- FrontRange Goldmine

We'll send you a progress update email in December. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

The CompanionLink Team

0 Likes
Re: GOOD NEWS for Outlook users: USB Sync for DROID to Outlook/ACT/Lotus Notes is in the works
BAM1964

The tip to go to companionlink was FANTASTIC! It works! Maybe not perfectly (have not tried it that long), but I now have my calendar on my DROID. Shame you have to spend $40.00, but it appears to be well worth it.

0 Likes
Apple

I use outlook and have my own exchange server in my office.  I am looking to sync with as much of my outlook data and specifically the following ... Will Companion Link be the answer or will there need to be other apps ... or is Android/Google adding this into the OS?  Right now, it appears that there is no "task" app included with the OS?

1. Email support for multiple folders?

2. View email attachments (PDF, WORD & EXCEL files). This seems to be handled with all of them via DocsToGo?

3. Calendar support with exchange. Does it support 'private' appointments in outlook? I set up private appointments & these would be displayed on the phone, but masked on outlook (except those with viewing rights).

4. Contacts: support multiple contacts(personal - local folder) & global shared folder with other users in the office.

5. Memos: not important as I could use tasks just as easily for some of these that I use.

6. Tasks: this is actually one of the most critical issues for me as I use these to track several personal and shared projects. I need be able to sync multiple folders (local & shared global) from exchange with the phone. Do the tasks support folders as well as 'categories' and' due date'? Are there limitations for the length of text in the 'note' field. The other fields are not so important provided that no info would get truncated during syncs.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

You could always get your calander on your Droid free.   All you had to do is Sync it to the Gmail calander and then it shoots it to the Droid.  Works very well.

0 Likes
CompanionLink doesn't work!!
Lizzie1981

Am I the only one having problems using the CompanionLink sync software?! I keep reading all these posts about how great it is, but it's not working for me.

Here's my problem: I just got a Motorola Droid and I am trying to sync it via USB to my outlook for my contacts, tasks, and calendar, and I can't sync it via a third party due to my company's restrictions. I read on a forum about the new CompanionLink software that would allow me to sync via USB connection, so I installed the software and did everything the CompanionLink site said to do, and it seemed to be working, but when it was all done (10 minutes later!) all it seemed to do was move my phone's contacts over to my outlook contacts and nothing else! I selected the option to do a 2-way sync, but I don't know where my outlook information went, if in fact it did sync to my phone. I tried opening the CompanionLink apps that appeared on my phone, but it just gave me an error message and said I had to 'Force Close.' What am I doing wrong?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,

A frustrated Droid user

0 Likes
Re: CompanionLink doesn't work!!
ClCto

Lizzie, give CompanionLink tech support a call.  The number is on their web page.  It's free.  They can probably help you out.

0 Likes
jillzp

Will this update allow you to see all your email folders in Outlook?

0 Likes