GPS not working on Droid X
meganvwalker

I have seen quite a few posts about this, just couldn't find anything yet that is a true 'fix'. The GPS on my phone hasn't really worked for about 6 months or so now. However, I have only just really noticed it over the past month because I started running and want to use one of the many popular running apps (Map My Run, RunKeeper, Nike+) to be able to track my runs. The GPS always shows as weak. It also doesn't ever find my location if I am using Google Maps. If I take the back of the battery off, and push the batter down further, it does seem to come on, but only if you are pressing pretty hard to make some kind of connection.

Any one know why this is happening, and how it can be fixed? It's very frustrating.

Thanks

Megan Walker

0 Likes
Re: GPS not working on Droid X
bearone21
Legend

do you have google maps auto updating?

what happens to gps if you disable those running apps?

special apps that you add may not play well with integrated apps packaged with the phone.

how many running apps are you using?

0 Likes
Owen286

Sounds crazy, but my fix was to remove the battery cover and replace it with a piece of plastic. GPS signal was able to locate 9 satellites..

0 Likes
BRamsey1

Megan,

Good luck with trying for a solution.

I've been experiencing the same problem as others and from various forums it is an issue with some of the Droid X's hardware.

Don't expect a solution from tech support, online or by phone.

I've called both Motorola and Verizon and they both fail, miserably.

Of course the Motorola tech said it is probably a software problem.  However, if this was the case, all or most of X's would have the same problem. I went all the way up the tech chain to highest level of support.

Verizon of course said it was a hardware issue.  If out of warranty, buy a new phone as the highest level techs can't provide any answers even as polite and helpful as they want to be.  Don't bother going into the store, they know less than the public.

Don't bother with all the run-around 'do this and do that' to your phone.  It's a complete waste of time.

I've done everything possible from safe mode to reset factory defaults and re installation.  The problem with resetting is that when you have to dial up the code to get Verizon to reconnect your phone, you don't get the old system version, just the latest update which nullifies you from determining if it is truly a hardware or software issue.

This is most likely a defect in several Droid X's and doesn't appear for quite a few months after purchase.  Everything is working fine and then bang!  You're done.  If you are lucky it happened before your warranty expired or you've had the extended warranty to get a replacement.  Although, I've seen several posts where that did not necessarily work well as the same issues kept cropping up on replacements.

My last resort is to (deleted content as per) my phone.  (not recommended by either company, of course)

If it works, software issue and I'll be extremely unhappy with Verizon and switch my 5 phones to another carrier.

If it doesn't, hardware issue and I won't be getting a Moto ever again.

I expect it's really the latter, but it sure would be nice for one of the company's to give a definitive answer on the subject.  Of course that would probably put them into an responsibility issue of really taking care of the problem.  Most likely why there is no real support on this issue.  Ignore and deny when their really responsible.

Go Moto.  No, really, go.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

0 Likes
Owen286

Mine worked after I removed the battery cover..

<Personal information (email address) removed per the plus extraneous HTML content.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
BRamsey1

Funny.  <Comment deleted for discussion of moderation per the TOS.> , but not the time to actually solve problems.

Would really appreciate a call from a higher up manager to discuss my dissatisfaction with Verizon’s selection of priorities and offering obviously defective phones and not addressing the situation.

I expect this will most likely fall on deaf ears…

<Personal information removed per the plus extraneous HTML content.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
BRamsey1

So does mine, but intermittently. 

The point is X users shouldn't have to go around with the backs of their phones off.

0 Likes
DatCheese

Not sure if you figured this out or not. I saw this after I my GPS wouldn't work.

Well someone told me its really google GPS server. Its said that the phones automatically pick it first to use and thats why GPS aren't working. So if you go to settings-location-un check google's location your gps should work. Its really just something up with google.

I did that and now my GPS works well now

0 Likes
Tedster

The problem is caused by the GPS antenna rubbing against the battery cover causing a ground-out. An easy fix is to affix a piece of duct tape to the battery cover right over the spot where the antenna is rubbing. Takes two seconds and fixed my problem right away. Take the battery door off, look where the GPS is located (a little nub of an antenna), then look at the corresponding location on the back of the battery door cover. You'll probably see a gouge or a scratch mark where it has been rubbing. Get some 100-mile an hour tape or duct tape (non-metallic) and cover this spot. A little bit of tape will work just fine. I did it and my problem was solved. This is a design flaw in the Droid X.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there meganvwalker!

Nike for running is an awesome app that I want you taking full advantage of so I think it's imperative that we work on getting you the best GPS signal possible. So, let's take a look at what's causing the issues.

First, may I please ask if you have any physical damage on your device? Also, are any of your other features not performing correctly? The most important thing you want to make sure of to start is that GPS is enabled correctly. To do this, go to settings > location & security > make sure the GPS boxes are checked. Additionally, you may wish to dial *228, choose option 2, restart device, and test. Please keep us in the loop with how this helps.

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes