GPS turns on?
lau804

What causes the GPS to suddenly turn on throughout the day?  I will notice the icon flashing and it's on, needing to be turned off.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: GPS turns on?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, lau804. I can understand why you're looking for answers.Did you enable the location services for apps like Facebook or twitter? If so, when you receive an update via one of these apps, you may see the GPS/locations service turn on for a few minutes. Do you have any other applications that require your location? Let me know if this helps or if you have additional questions.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lau804

Thanks. What happens is that occasionally during the day or night, the

icon for gps will turn on and I have not turned anything on. I don't

normally keep the location turned on until I open an app. If I wanted you

to know where I am you should call me, This is also a recent happening.

It's only been in the last 2 months that I will notice that all of the

sudden it's on and I will turn it off. Nothing closes or errors so I don't

think it's effecting the function of the phone. Is it possible for someone

to track me? Is this part of an app I loaded? Just wasn't sure.

Chris

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for the additional information, lau804. It is difficult to say what may be causing your GPS to automatically come on suddenly without a prompt from you.
The only way someone would be able to track your phone is if  you had a tracking app installed on the device. Of course the app would come in handy if your device ever came up missing.
If this is something that happens daily, you should put the device in Safe Mode to see if there is an app causing the GPS to enable.
http://bit.ly/OAXCYh Safe Mode disables all running apps, therefore if the GPS comes on while the device is in Safe Mode over night, we know that it isn't an app causing this.
Please give that a try so we can test the theory and let me know how it works.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes