Generic Network Failure
melissagrace

In the past couple of days my phone displays Message not downloaded Generic Network Failure on the notification screen, my email doesn't sync and when I send a text I am never sure if the message gets sent. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Generic Network Failure
budone
Legend

Try calling *228 and choose option 1 to reset your phone. If that does not work, I fear a master reset may be in order.

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

I have provided some information below that may help.

Step 1. – Try clearing the messaging data. Instruction given below:

**Please note this will not remove any messages, however it will reset all the applications settings.

-Select Menu

-Select Settings

-Select Applications

-Select Manage applications

-Select All

-Select Messages

-Clear data

Step 2. – Try putting the device into Safe mode. Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting 3rd party applications. Instruction below:

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=31062

*If it works in this mode there may be an application that is not native to the device that is causing the problem.

Step 3. – (If it works in Safe mode) remove any application that is not native to the device for messaging. 

Step 4. – Complete a soft reset. Instructions given below:

-Power the device off

-Pull the battery out for 20 seconds.

-Place the battery back in

-Power the device back on

Step 5- Hard Reset - Performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. Only perform this reset if absolutely necessary. Instruction provided in the article below:

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=30946

0 Likes
jfhallst

I'm hoping a Verizon support person is reading this and is willing to commit to a straight answer.  Is this problem with Generic Network failure yours or is it an Android and/or specific manufacturer issue?  I've been to 6 different forums, I've read 20 different opinions on what the source of the problem is, I've tried everything short of a hard reset, which I haven't done yet because a number of the postings said they'd tried it and it didn't work. My wife can send MMS with her Verizon/LG Dare and I can send/receive SMS with no problem.  trying to send MMS from my Droid Incredible, even with tiny attachments always fails. Judging from the postings there appear to be dozens of Verizon android users using various models of phones that are encountering the same problem.

If this is a Verizon issue,  then at least acknowledge that you're aware of it and if possible explain what's causing it and when it can be expected to be resolved.  If it's not a Verizon issue, please say so.  To many people are experiencing this problem for it to be a fluke limited to some oddball conflict.

It's time to make good on all the claims of excellent customer service.

0 Likes
lagorda

I've had the same problem, Message not sent, generic network failure, with my Droid Eris.  Tried *228 and removing battery.  Nothing works. Please advise!!!!

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

I would recommend for you to do a factory reset on your device to resolve the issue that you are having. Here are the steps. Be sure to back up your contact and remove your sd card before doing the hard reset.

• From the home screen, select the applications tab (located in the lower-left).
  • Select Settings.
  • Select SD & phone storage.
  • Select Factory data reset.
  • Select the reset option.
  • Reset phone
  • Select Erase Everything.

Here is a link for more information http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=30946

0 Likes
MrNoName

I too have been having this issue with my incredible, only with MMS messages. i've been doing a bunch of research to try to fix it. Shuffling throught the mass amouts of **bleep** on the forums.

NOTHING HAS WORKED !!!!

Oddly enough many people that have this problem report that it only started happening from the january 2011. Almost like some sort of network or software change from htc or verizon caused this.

It seems difficult to get any straight answers from the verizon or htc, but that could also be because many of  tech support people don't know their head from their **bleep**. They just read from a script and their final solution is to do a hard reset when they cant figure it out, That isn't always the solution. Solving the problem is one thing but my question is WHY THIS HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Verizon nor HTC will own up the issue just pointing fingers at each other.

I did a hard reset and wiped my phone clean and it still didn't help. Tried to send myself a picture message and the same error keeps popping up in the notification bar.  Message not downloaded  Generic Network Failure. I think it might be an APN issue but cant seem to find the setting in my phone to check the APN to see if its even working.

I've had this phone from the moment it came out and never had a issue til now. Google the problem and you will see that many other people have had the same problem.

IF ANYONE FINDS A SOLUTION TO THIS PLEASE SHARE, I'll try anything at this point.

0 Likes
kdphigiggles

Have tried all the suggestions in this & other forums, short of a factory reset, but nothing is working. And I refuse to do a hard reset because last time few times I've had phone issues I listened to the IT support, reset the phone & the issues were never resolved, so I see no point in doing that again only to have it no work AGAIN.

~ I'm using the standard messaging service that came with the phone, do not have Quick Setting, Handcent or any other messaging apps. 

~ Having this error when receiving messages both on 3G and Wireless. 

~ Issue is with receiving regular text messages, not just pictures or videos~ Do not have the APN setting under Mobile Networks, so no changing, adding or fixing that.

~ Tried APN Backup, Clear Data in Manage Applications, remove battery & reboot

~ Not receiving a "Force Close" message

~ When I click on "Download" for the message it won't download & I'll just get the error again. Keep getting errors until I finally choose "Decline" instead

Does anyone have any other ideas that might help? This issue has only started for me over the past week... I haven't downloaded any apps or done anything to the phone recently.

Please help! I'm going out of my mind!! 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Moneypenny

I had the same thing.  I received a Skype mess. with pic.. from soemone and it would not come through.  It said Generic network failure.  So I erased/deleted all 3 of them and now it works fine.  Hope that works.

0 Likes
bakermann

I was receiving the same notifications... generic network failure and cannot download.  I did a soft reset then deleted all the old pics i could not download or send out and from there on i was able to send and receive pics. Give that a try.

0 Likes