Gingerbread reboot issues
bluboy2001

After my Droid x was updated with the new Android build my phone has been rebooting frequently.  Everything else seems to be fine, though.  Has anyone else experienced this issue, if so, how did you remedy the problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gingerbread reboot issues
Cody21
Master - Level 2

("SEARCH" is your Friend in these forums)   This issue has been discussed quite a bit. Some are seeing this - most are not.

How often does it happen? Maybe start with a WIPE CACHE. Then if still going on try running SAFE MODE for a while - but that would depend on the frequency.

Wiping cache partition -  cures many ills and is better to start with this than a (gulp) full Factory Reset.

• Power off
  • Power On Holding Home Key
  • When Andy with Exlamation Point Shows up Press BOTH Volume keys
  • Use Volume Keys to navigate to "wipe cache partition" and tap power button to select
  • Wait for it to finish and select reboot system

Boot into SAFE MODE - Useful for testing phone for a "rogue" 3rd party APP. Avoid starting any 3rd party APPS when booted in this mode. Only start the ones you need for testing.

1. Power Off phone

2. Press & Hold the MENU Button (far left hard button)

3. While Holding MENU, power up phone

After about 1-2 mins. the phone will say SAFE MODE in lower left corner.

To get out of SAFE MODE, just power off/on as usual.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

("SEARCH" is your Friend in these forums)   This issue has been discussed quite a bit. Some are seeing this - most are not.

How often does it happen? Maybe start with a WIPE CACHE. Then if still going on try running SAFE MODE for a while - but that would depend on the frequency.

Wiping cache partition -  cures many ills and is better to start with this than a (gulp) full Factory Reset.

• Power off
  • Power On Holding Home Key
  • When Andy with Exlamation Point Shows up Press BOTH Volume keys
  • Use Volume Keys to navigate to "wipe cache partition" and tap power button to select
  • Wait for it to finish and select reboot system

Boot into SAFE MODE - Useful for testing phone for a "rogue" 3rd party APP. Avoid starting any 3rd party APPS when booted in this mode. Only start the ones you need for testing.

1. Power Off phone

2. Press & Hold the MENU Button (far left hard button)

3. While Holding MENU, power up phone

After about 1-2 mins. the phone will say SAFE MODE in lower left corner.

To get out of SAFE MODE, just power off/on as usual.

0 Likes
bluboy2001

Thank you.  It happens about 2-3/day.  I will give this a try and let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
DieAnne

Did this work for you Blu?  I was wondering.  I have the same problem... phone reboots, once or twice a day for no reason but no other problems besides that.  I'm scared to do anything.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Those 2 options I outlined are very benign.  CACHE WIPE had been know to fix many issues. Try it.  And running in SAFE MODE does nothing but help prove/isolate whether a 3rd party APP could be causing the problem.

the "tougher" process would be the final step:  a FACTORY RESET ...  and things can get complicated there -- but tends to fix a lot of problems.

0 Likes
bluboy2001

I tried the CACHE WIPE action yesterday and so far everything seems to be going fine, no reboots yet.  Hopefully this has solved the problem.  I hope to not have to do a factory reset.  Thank you Cody!

0 Likes
DieAnne

I will try the CACHE WIPE (fingers crossed).  I might have to wait a day or so to see if it stopped the reboot problem though.  I'd hate to do anything else though because nothing else really is the matter with my phone.  Thanks Cody.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Most welcome both of you ... Hopefully that will help address the issues you're having.

0 Likes
DieAnne

I did the cache wipe on Friday.  No reboots at all since then...  sweet.  Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
regilla

My Droid 2 had same problem, as well as no email delivery and homescreen icons randomly disappearing into folders, after installing Gingerbread.  Spoke with Verizon Tech who said to do a factory reset.  I did the reset after backing apps up with Astro.  The reset solved the email delivery and disappearing icons issues, and improved Gingerbread function, but didn't stop the reboot after power shutdown.  Deleting the stock battery widget, however, did stop the reboots.  I installed Battery Time Lite app which shows % charge remaining in notification tray.  I haven't had any reboots after turning off power for 2 days now.  Hopefully problems are solved.

0 Likes