Google GPS Navigation Issues
tdub

We have 2 Droids in our family and over the past few weeks it seems the Google GPS navigation has gone a bit crazy.  My wife has tried to use hers twice now for weekend trips and it is giving directions that are incredibly out of the way and even nonsensical.  I double checked on mine and it gave the same weird directions.

For example, going to one location I would go down a street to an intersection and turn left onto another street.  The GPS, however, told me to go down the street past the intersection, do a u-turn, come back to the intersection and turn right.  It takes us off of highways onto sidestreets, goes the opposite direction and then turns back, and will take slower routes if they are accurate at all.

It took two 1.75 hour trips and made them each 2.5+ hours.  Dedicated GPS devices allow options to go with quickest route or shortest route or whatno, but the only options on this one are to avoid highways and/or avoid tolls.  Neither were selected.

I've had my phone since October and my wife got hers in June.  We went on vacation driving from Chicago to Virginia and used the phones with no problems, and I took mine to Dallas in May and it worked great, so it seems to be something that happened some time in July (an "update" perhaps?).

Has anyone else run into this?  Is there an app that gives better control?

0 Likes
Re: Google GPS Navigation Issues
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried resetting the magnetometer?

Just wave the phone in a figure-8 pattern a few times (try flat, then on its side, then upright), even reboot afterwards.

That should clear it up.  I've done this a few times before, especially after the phone's been all all day and the GPS starts acting goofy - works everytime.

0 Likes