Hope for those who really need to sync Outlook with DROID
rjones

OK, for those of us without Outlook/Microsoft Exchange, there's a sync program called CompanionLink for Google that seems to solve most of the sync problems. I'm using the 15-day demo and so far it is working very well. There are a few quirks due to the inadequacies of the Google cloud apps, but the CompanionLink does maintain category listings. It handles the notes by converting them into contacts with |M| spacers on each side to denote them as notes or memos. Not the best but at least I can search for my notes easily.

Companion link also brings all info from Outlook and installs it in the Contact list of Google and into Google Calendar, which is then downloaded to your DROID real time. You can start the sync and within minutes the Google Contacts on the Web and your phone are already showing updated and added contacts, for instance.

This has solved many of the problems I had when I did the first transfer of my contacts from my Treo/OUtlook into Google Contacts -- which didn't put the fields in the proper position and didn't even include addresses. I recommend that if you have done a bulk transfer to Google using .csv files that you erase all your Contacts in Google (unless for some reason you've added a bunch that you don't have in OUtlook) and then run CompanionLink the first time so that Outlook updates Contacts properly. That way you won't have to go into Google and delete the screwed up duplicates.

The only major problem I've seen so far is that I'm not sure the Tasks are getting updated properly. CompanionLink does have a rich set of options so it's possible that it can do more than I've gotten from it so far. I know it will do scheduled updates for you, although I prefer to do them manually. More research will be required, but I'm much happier now. CompanionLink is $40 and while I resent having to pay extra for Outlook Sync, which is free on Palms, I like the DROID's other features enough to shell out the extra cash.

0 Likes
Re: Hope for those who really need to sync Outlook with DROID
RJP

I totally agree that it's worth $40 to be able to keep the Droid.  But, the workaround on tasks and notes isn't the optimal solution.  And, I'm a POP3 user so email push isn't an option for me.  Verizon's Wireless Sync is the perfect solution to this problem.  C'mon Verizon, get with the program here!!  Otherwise, I hope somebody comes up with an app that fixes this within the 30 day return window.

0 Likes
RJP

I've tried a lot of apps to sync data.  Bottom line is I have a pop3 mail account and do not wish to delete messages on the pc and on the phone.

Google missed the boat here.

I'm returning the Droid (it's a cool gadget) and getting a Touch Pro2 (I miss my Wireless Sync).  If the Droid ever grows up and becomes a tool for business professionals, I'll be the first to pick one up.

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

It's a first generation product... outlook integration will come but I expected issues and love the phone enough to wait.

0 Likes