How do I find the Android version? (to see if I need an update)
chris56

It seems that the Verizon version of the Droid has a special software load.  I can't see the Android version number.   I have recently had to go back to using a old Droid that I had lying around - hardly used.   On the motorola site it says you should see the version under Settings/About Phone / System.  All I have is "System Updates and it shows no version number - it only says "Your system is currently up to date"

I doubt that because several apps I've downloaded lately (from the Droid Market) won't run and I suspect I don't have the latest version of Android.   Will a "3G" Droid (1) run the latest Android that runs on "4G" phones?  Anybody know?

Here's the software/firmware info provided currently on my phone:

Model number: Droid

Firmware Version: 2.1 -Update1

Baseband version: C_01.3E.03P

Kernel Version:  2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1

Build number: ESE81

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I find the Android version? (to see if I need an update)
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The current version is

Android 2.2.3

Baseband C_01.43.01P

Kernel 2.632.9-g68eeef5 android-build@apa26 #1

Build FRK76

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The firmware number is your Android version (Android 2.1).  If I recall correctly, the original DROID was upgraded to Android 2.2. To get that installed (or any higher version) on your phone will likely require to you to search elsewhere for the information. The Terms of Service here restrict discussion about modifying devices

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The current version is

Android 2.2.3

Baseband C_01.43.01P

Kernel 2.632.9-g68eeef5 android-build@apa26 #1

Build FRK76

0 Likes
chris56

Thanks - one more question ...  Does the same version of Android run on my old 3G Droid as would run on a newer 4G device or does my old phone need a special version?

BTW I got some help from Verizon, from which I bought the phone ...  I explained that I had originally bought two Droids (first version), thinking that my Wife would use one (she refused but now has an Eye-Phone.   Anyway, this second Droid stayed in the box and was never used for a couple of years while I carried my other Droid and since "upgraded" to a newer LG Lucid (4G) phone.   Meanwhile, my LG Lucid suffered an accident with a golf club and I had to get this old (but never used) Droid out of the box.    It seems that meanwhile Motorola had pushed out a new Android version during the years this one was in the box and so it didn't get the update.   Now the update isn't out there to be had (I'll call Motorola) so when this phone tries to do an update it thinks it can't.

Moral of the story - if you buy a phone and keep it in the box for a few years - inactive - then you might miss out on some important software updates.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Original DROID won't get anymore official updates beyond the current version I listed above. I don't know if Verizon Wireless still has the latest version on their server for your phone to pull or get the update pushed to the phone.

To get anything higher (Android 2.3, 4.0+) means modifying the phone and can't be discussed here. The hardware itself can't really handle anything newer either.

0 Likes