I upgraded to the HTC Thunderbolt, but I still have my Droid.....(Black Screen of Death Issues)
JiveTurkey

I still want to keep my Droid, it makes a handy WiFi-ready "micro-tablet" (as I call it), plus I can still play all my NES/SNES/Genesis games on it, I love the QWERTY keyboard for that kind of stuff.

However, I dropped the phone on a hardwood floor from about 3 feet up, and **BOOM**, screen completely goes out.  The "soft keys" light up, keyboard still lights up.  I can see the two small LED light sources coming from the very bottom of the screen.  When I drag my finger across the screen, I still get the haptic feedback of my phone being "Unlocked".

I've done battery pull, let it discharge fully, charge it back up, no good.

So even though this isn't technically my "active phone" anymore, would VZW still be able to do anything to try & get it fixed?  It's obsolete & outdated now (sorry, Droid 1 owners), but this is actually a replacement phone that I've had for less than a year, so wouldn't it still be covered under warranty? 

0 Likes
Re: I upgraded to the HTC Thunderbolt, but I still have my Droid.....(Black Screen of Death Issues)
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

JiveTurkey wrote:

I still want to keep my Droid, it makes a handy WiFi-ready "micro-tablet" (as I call it), plus I can still play all my NES/SNES/Genesis games on it, I love the QWERTY keyboard for that kind of stuff.

However, I dropped the phone on a hardwood floor from about 3 feet up, and **BOOM**, screen completely goes out.  The "soft keys" light up, keyboard still lights up.  I can see the two small LED light sources coming from the very bottom of the screen.  When I drag my finger across the screen, I still get the haptic feedback of my phone being "Unlocked".

I've done battery pull, let it discharge fully, charge it back up, no good.

So even though this isn't technically my "active phone" anymore, would VZW still be able to do anything to try & get it fixed?  It's obsolete & outdated now (sorry, Droid 1 owners), but this is actually a replacement phone that I've had for less than a year, so wouldn't it still be covered under warranty? 

If the phone is not currently activated on your line, there is no warranty. Warranty does not cover damage anyhow, you would need insurance for this. You can take it to one of those cell phone repair companies and have them fix it for you, but those are quite pricey.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use WiFi on a phone that is not activated.

0 Likes
Re: I upgraded to the HTC Thunderbolt, but I still have my Droid.....(Black Screen of Death Issues)
rnin02

I think once a phone is no longer activated, they won't help you with repair. We tried that with one of my old phones (trying to give it my husband) about 2 weeks after I had my new one, and they wouldn't help fix it, even though I had previously had insurance on it. If you can get it fixed you will still be able to use the wifi though...not 3g, but activation shouldn't matter for wifi.

0 Likes
JiveTurkey

Right, before the screen failed I was able to use WiFi with no issues at all..

Pity that it's probably FUBAR'ed.  =/   If I couldn't find a buyer (not that a year old Droid 1 is worth much anyways), I would've still liked it as a back-up WiFi device/micro game system.

Maybe I'll try the "Dumb Engineer" technique of attempting to recreate the drop to see if I can "fix it by breaking it".  Wouldn't be the first time (or smart).  Here goes nothing!

Thanks all!

0 Likes