Re: ICS Issues after upgrade-This Ice Cream Sandwich is not very tasty
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I agree with you 100%. I have also been involved in many updates / upgrades on several phones and have had none of them take that long. ICS though is the first OS Upgrade in which the OS Optimizes itself and all of the content on the phone. It is a great idea and makes things run nice and smooth however Verizon did a Terrible job in communicating this as there is some stuff you could have done prior to the update.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

+!

How about no job in communicating?  Unless you read forums, how would you know, until it shows up?  I know a friend of mine with a Bionic who doesn't read any forums of any sort and she had no idea whatsoever that an update was being pushed until I told her.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Yeah I know, I was trying to be nice on it.  There was NO communication at all. Matter of fact, if you call verizon today you will still get agents that are telling you three is no update and the Bionic is not getting ICS.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

0 Likes
enelson321
Enthusiast - Level 2

For those still suffering, my upgrade finally completed after just under 10 hours. I do not have a great deal of music or photographs... perhaps 4GB total? though I DO have the 16GB internal + a 16GB SD card.

Notes thus far:

1. Despite the fact that it had been plugged in for the whole ordeal it booted up with only 15% of its battery

2. It does not appear to be charging fully. I have a charger that indicates when current is being drawn and, at best, it flickers indicating partial/intermediate, and sometimes shows no current despite the fact that my phone is now at 10%. I have already done one complete battery/SD card/Sim card remove/reboot.

3. The interface is actually quite nice. I like the new options from the lock screen and the menus look cleaner in my opinion. I also like the way they've handled adding apps/widgets.

4. I happen to have SMSPopUp and SMSReader installed... when I LEAVE the text pop up up, it actually charges. Weird bug.

So I agree with whoever said it (it might have been this forum or not), but ICS does give much but also requires much. Take it with a grain of salt.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
daniellecatherine3

I cannot open my texting apps. When I try to open a text app it will like for a minute and restart itself..

Phone is hot.. Battery is crap and charging painfully slow.. The phone in general is slow.. is this a matter of waiting a day or two for the slow stuff but what about my messaging? Im not receiving anything cannot send anything. I can make phone calls at the least....but please help...what do i do?

I've tried turning off and removing the batter and then starting it up but little has changed..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sounds like you need to do a System Cache Clear  Daniell  here is how to perform it Give it a Try Let me know if it Worked or Not if not we'll move to something Else, but give it Go and hopefully it will clear the issue

Here is How you Clear the system Cache on the Bionic : Do as Follows

Step 1: power your bionic down

Step 2: hold volume up, down, and power simultaneously

Step 3: use the volume down to navigate to "recovery," use volume up to select

Step 4: you will get a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point, next to an Android. Press volume up and down simultaneously

Step 5: use the volume rocker to navigate to "wipe cache" and use the power button to select.

Step 6: after it has finished, use the volume rocker to navigate to "reboot system now" and use the power button to select it once it is Done See how the Device operates and might not hurt Doing a "Soft Rest" in conjunction of the System clear! 

0 Likes
enelson321
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I thought I'd give a little update on the updatel, 72 hours after the fact.

ICS is actually quite a "tasty ice cream sandwich". I am very pleased with some of the fixes which have made a couple of my apps run more smoothly and fixed things like icons disappearing. This is particularly aimed at SMSPopUp and SMSReader which used to periodically have issues with repeating notificiations 4+ times. ICS now supports the quick reply in the popUp and utilizes the GTalk type of keyboard with the smiley button (something I've always wanted available in my texting keyboard).

Initially, I did notice certain apps taking longer to load (texting being one of the biggest culprits). This cleared up after about a day or so. I did NOT perform a cache clear or another "hard" reboot. So I attribute the issue to ICS initially syncing its processes/optimizing for my usage.

My battery life is still not QUITE where it used to be. I find I can not make it through a day without charging. I use my phone (4G streaming of pandora especially) quite heavily all day though. It does charge as quickly as it used to (that took about a day to return to normal as well) so it's bearable.

I have noticed in forums (not sure if it was this one) people complaining about the bionic suddenly dropping or failing to use 4G in the past. My phone developed this issue about 5 months into its life and after multiple Verizon Support calls never fully dropped the habit. ICS seems to have solved the problem. I have not had a problem with acquiring or maintaining a connection in areas where 4G is available at ALL for the past 3 days, which, if you were dealing with the "random 4G drop problem", is amazing.

So be patient! It will get better... though I still think Verizon should consider better (or simply any) communication on what to expect with updates of this nature. I am mollified by the joy of a *practically* new phone in the last couple days, but I can not forget the inconvenience that was suffered (unnecessarily) while updating. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

enelson321 wrote:

So be patient! It will get better... though I still think Verizon should consider better (or simply any) communication on what to expect with updates of this nature. I am mollified by the joy of a *practically* new phone in the last couple days

+1

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

2 things on the Battery life (this may or may not apply to you). Typically what I see when a new OS is loaded is people in general are trying to figure out what is new, how does this work, does that still work etc... and don't realize they are on the phone double or more then they were prior to the update itself.  We have all gone through it.  Next, ICS does optimize the phone (which you already went through). After it is finally installed and running it also optimizes the APP Usage (Android in general does). So you have some apps that turn themselves on automatically because the app writers feel you will want to use them so often. when you do not use the apps, the OS learns that you do not want them and it turns them off (saving battery) As long as you do not use a Task Killer this will happen in the first 7-10 days.

You can help speed that along and save more battery though by disabling the bloatware you do NOT use on the phone (all of these apps will start themselves at least long enough to check for updates daily). This will extend the battery life as well. One of the apps I found that is a large drain on Battery is Smart Actions. Some people swear by it and it can do many things in the way of automating your phone so the power it uses is a good trade off. For me, I disabled it and gained 3-4% more battery life.

I believe B33 has a Battery Savers Guide as well??? Maybe he can post the link to it.

0 Likes