Re: Incredible AMOLED to SLCD Change and Verizon's UNWILLINGNESS to understand
AZSALUKI
Legend

this is a quote from july 26:

“HTC is experiencing high-demand for many of our phones, specifically our phones with 3.7 inch displays.  The new SLCD display technology enables us to ramp up our production capabilities quickly to meet the high-demand,” said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation.  “The SLCD displays provide consumers with a comparable visual experience to HTC’s current 3.7 inch displays with some additional benefits including battery performance.”

http://jkontherun.com/2010/07/26/htc-says-no-to-amoled-nexus-one-lives-on/

the article does not specifically mention the incredible...but the CEO went on record and HTC did in fact issue a release that they would be switching to SLCD for many device with a 3.7 inch screen.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS362US363&q=htc+switch+amole...

this link has a bunch of articles (mostly blog sites) that contradict one and other...but the quote above is legit. so many sites and blogs are saying htc never did this....or that they did for some devices, but not the inc. however, the CEO said they were going to for phones with 3.7 inch display, so why wouldn't they switch the inc? that was the one that caused this whole mess (shortage).

0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sure was nice to walk in a Verizon store and walk out with a phone (yesterday). Frankly, I was hoping HTC would switch to SLCD if that would result in having inventory at the stores.

Yes, I understand the selling features of AMOLED (and even secretly wanted amoled). But, AMOLED's have poor outdoor performance right (reportedly)? So, I was looking at the trade-offs, and didn't care which display I got, so long as I could pick one up "at a store".

To repeat, for the minor differences, if SLCD means having stock "in-the-store" then, bring it on. It's important for HTC and Verizon to get this phone in the hands of users. It's a nice device (much lighter and thinner than Moto Droid and Sense UI is well done). Verizon customers need a choice other than "out-of-stock" 4.3" phones and bulky sliders like the Moto Droid 2.

SLCD is nice enough for that other HOT selling phone (you know the one everyone seems to have). I'm not watching movies on my phone or editing photos. It's a voice and communication device. It's a shame that display shortages crimped sales for as long as they did.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

the slcd is a bit easier to see in the sun but the amoled screen is superior. the issue is that they previously advertised it with one screen and then apparently switched to an inferior product. i have not seen specs on the new inc's (don't know if you can even find the screen type anywhere???). there's no problem if it does not say anywhere that it's an amoled. however, if it still does say amoled somewhere and they are using slcd, then it's fraud. i still have yet to see any real proof that they are using slcd???

0 Likes
Asimoalex

see i had the same problem as this i got my inc from laucning day i had random reboots too and they gave me 3 batterys before they sent a new one i argued as well and the deff changed the screens my old droid inc was Amlod (or how ever u spell it ) and this one is deff an SLCD i can see the diffrents in color espacly the blacks ...but thats about it and well the white color looking a little grayish but that it

0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the packaging that I got yesterday, specs are not to be found.

If you download the "Manual" from Verizon's smart phone resource center, the specs do indeed say AMOLED display. 

However.... the specs also have a disclaimer: "Specifications are subject to change without prior notice".

I'm not trying to convince anyone that you shouldn't want AMOLED. Heck I wanted AMOLED. But, for me, the difference is not worth the perpetual "out of stock" conditions on this phone.

I did compare my new Incredible with my original moto Droid. And I can say this, the Incredible I got yesterday (8/28) at the V store is most definitely better. Blacks are immediately recognizable as much "blacker". So count me as placated for the moment regardless of the technology my display is using.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

if they disclaim it then i have no issues. the problem they are going to have is that sure....if you didn't ever have one with the amoled screen, then what you got will look much better than your old phone.......but if you had an original, with the amoled, then there IS a noticeable difference. not much they can do about it. but they will have to deal with angry customers.

0 Likes
yzf600
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe this is a dumb question but where does it say, or best way to tell which screen I did get on mine? I got mine last week after they came back in stock.

0 Likes
FramCire

HTC IS NOT MAKING INCREDIBLE WITH SLCD RIGHT NOW.

They COULD in the future, but they are NOT right now.

They changed 2 other phones but are currently keeping AMOLED for Incredible.

this conversation is really getting insane UNTIL HTC decides to change the Incredible.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

FramCire wrote:

HTC IS NOT MAKING INCREDIBLE WITH SLCD RIGHT NOW.

They COULD in the future, but they are NOT right now.

They changed 2 other phones but are currently keeping AMOLED for Incredible.

this conversation is really getting insane UNTIL HTC decides to change the Incredible.

Verizon' website detail of the Incredible DOES show it coming with the new screen.

0 Likes
jsprake1
If anyone needs an ad, which there was, check youtube or better yet your froyo bootscreen for false advertising. It clearly states "Amoled".(first ad)
0 Likes