International travel, just want data
DROIDXNEWBIE
Enthusiast - Level 3

Couple questions - heading to Costa Rica.  I'd like to use my phone (DROID X) for data only, not to receive calls/texts.  I would just use the wifi from the hotels.  Will there be additional charges for this?  And how do I change my settings on my phone so I won't receive calls/texts but still data/wifi?  Any other international hints would be appreciated!  I just want to be able to surf the net and check emails.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: International travel, just want data
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You can put your phone into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.  This will turn off all cellular radios, ensuring you do not connect to any network, but still allow you to use data through wifi (which is free, as long as you don't have to pay to access that particular hotspot).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You can put your phone into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.  This will turn off all cellular radios, ensuring you do not connect to any network, but still allow you to use data through wifi (which is free, as long as you don't have to pay to access that particular hotspot).

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

We were just in Costa Rica in September - wonderful trip. As Demmo pointed out, yes, simply put it in Airplane mode and leave it there. Then toggle WiFi on/off when at the hot spots in the hotels.  All of our hotels included Hot Spots - not all of them worked well though, some sporadic, some not at all.  Oh, I also went into Settings / Data and turned OFF the Roaming Option -- just to make sure if I inadvertedly turned off Airplane mode. But frankly it probably didn't matter anyway as Costa Rica does not have CDMA service - which is what the DX requires.  Have fun. It's a beautiful country with very friendly people. PS - if you don't speak Spanish, there is an app called JIBBIGO that works without a Network. It's $4.95 for the language piece. Worked very well for me.

0 Likes