Jelly Bean update problems! Help!!
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I woke up this morning to discover that VZW had pushed out a Jelly Bean update (98.72.22.XT75.Verizon.en.US) without my knowledge.  I have spent the better part of the day trying to fix the havoc that it has created!!!!  A list of the problems I've encountered so far:

1.  Contacts - My contacts are a mess.  It seems to have split information on contacts into separate records and created duplicates all over the place.  I had one contact which was duplicated 8 times (one record for cell phone, one for home phone, one for LinkedIn email, one for work email, etc...).  I had to MANUALLY re-join the records.  Now, take that times DOZENS of contacts that this happened to.....

2.  World Clock widget - gone.  I had a world clock widget that showed me the time in Cairo, Egypt and Brisbane, Australia.  The upgrade REMOVED this widget from my desktop.  It is nowhere to be found and I cannot re-add it because it is no longer a selection possibility in my widget list.  Smiley Sad

3.  Alarms - The upgrade shut off all my scheduled alarms.  Therefore, I woke up at 8:10 AM to find that I was MAJORLY late for work (I live an hour from my office) because my alarm never went off!!    I think this problem ticked me off more than anything else.....

4.  Timer - gone.  The old "Alarms & Timers" had one tab for alarms and one for timers.  The timers tab is now GONE and cannot be found.  I have searched and searched but have been unable to locate where this functionality moved to or if it is just permanently removed.

5. Pictures deleted!  I had pictures in a password protected App called Vaulty.  These were important pictures.  It appears the upgrade has DELETED ALL OF THEM!  I am FURIOUS.  Had Verizon sent me a text to say they were going to force an upgrade on my phone which would have wiped out my stuff, I'd have made sure it was backed up!!  Some of these items were IRREPLACEABLE!

I would appreciate it if someone could help me fix my phone.  Thanks!!

TJ

0 Likes
Re: Jelly Bean update problems! Help!!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, unfortunately, the Jelly Bean update (whether on a Razr, Razr Maxx, or Bionic) removed the world clock widget and the timer (the clock was replaced with the Google clock, which doesn't include a timer nor does it include the ability to have your alarm increase in volume).  The music player also was removed. 

Here's the changelog:

Release Notes - DROID BIONIC - Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) Software

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well for #3 I would not rely on a cell phone to wake me. Buy a good alarm clock or clock radio.

For #5 You could have used an app like Photo Bucket or Picassa  http://www.photobucket.com the Picassa app is Google

of which both are accessable from the Google Play Store for free.

I am not sure but if you re-download the Vaulty App you should be able to simply log in with your credentials and your photos should be on their servers. I would not use an app to stay on my cell just to password protect them. I upload the to numerous sites like I mentioned above. I also use Drop Box and iCloud from my iPhone and Picassa and photo bucket on my android phones and tablets.

Sorry I cannot assist with your other issues.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

LadyRelm2 wrote:

So I woke up this morning to discover that VZW had pushed out a Jelly Bean update (98.72.22.XT75.Verizon.en.US) without my knowledge.  I have spent the better part of the day trying to fix the havoc that it has created!!!!  A list of the problems I've encountered so far:

1.  Contacts - My contacts are a mess.  It seems to have split information on contacts into separate records and created duplicates all over the place.  I had one contact which was duplicated 8 times (one record for cell phone, one for home phone, one for LinkedIn email, one for work email, etc...).  I had to MANUALLY re-join the records.  Now, take that times DOZENS of contacts that this happened to.....

Were the contacts save as Google Contacts or something else?

~snip~

I would appreciate it if someone could help me fix my phone.  Thanks!!

TJ

I don't have any other ideas for the other items.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure what you  mean by "were they Google contacts"? 

I use the Backup Assistant when I enter contacts.  I have LinkedIn, Gmail, and corporate mail on my phone.  The contacts added to my phone are usually from one of those 3 apps or ones I have entered manually.  The splitting/duplication didn't seem tied to any one "method" of contact.  For example, my husband's contact was split into 3 records - one for his cell, one for his gmail address, and another record that had NOTHING attached to it but his avatar picture.  On the other hand, I had a contact from LinkedIn who had the contact record duplicated 8 times!  I had the person's mobile, work number, and two different email address (neither of them gmail)....the extra duplications had nothing attached to them.

Weird....

0 Likes
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elector,

~~Responding to your comments below

Well for #3 I would not rely on a cell phone to wake me. Buy a good alarm clock or clock radio.

~~I have an alarm clock but I don't use it for good reason.  I get up long before my husband.  There is no way to set my alarm so it only wakes me up.  If I use the alarms on my phone, I can wake up through a simple VIBRATE.  It's soft enough that it doesn't wake him up but I hear it and wake up.  Either way, it's irrelevant.  The point is that I use it and it has never failed me before.  Had VZW sent me a text or some other kind of notice that they were going to upgrade my phone overnight, I would have taken precautions.  Because I didn't know it was going to happen, I had no way to prepare or back anything up!

For #5 You could have used an app like Photo Bucket or Picassa  http://www.photobucket.com the Picassa app is Google

of which both are accessable from the Google Play Store for free.

~~~I have PhotoBucket and Dropbox but neither of those meet certain needs.  I used the Vaulty app because it allows me to password protect and segregate my files.  I use this app as a security feature to protect client data/files.  It does not store the files in a "cloud."  The files never leave my phone but are still password protected. 

I am not sure but if you re-download the Vaulty App you should be able to simply log in with your credentials and your photos should be on their servers. I would not use an app to stay on my cell just to password protect them. I upload the to numerous sites like I mentioned above. I also use Drop Box and iCloud from my iPhone and Picassa and photo bucket on my android phones and tablets.

Sorry I cannot assist with your other issues.

~~~I appreciate you trying to help.  As I mentioned previously, I am really burned about the fact that Verizon gave me NO NOTICE of this upgrade.  When they upgraded my phone to Ice Cream sandwich, I had to AGREE AND ACCEPT before it would upgrade.  I got no such courtesy this time around.  They cause me to be late for work.  They caused me to lose valuable and irreplaceable files.  And I am not even going into the hours I spent trying to fix my contacts.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they were Google contacts, you could have logged into your account from a computer and merged the duplicate entries.

Since they were from multiple sources, manually linking them is probably your only option. I know my HTC Thunderbolt will suggest contacts that could be linked together to appear as one. I don't know if Motorola was a similar feature in their Contacts app.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes