Manually Install Froyo 2.2 on Droid Incredible
NickPro

Hello all!

Didn't get your update OTA yet? Do it yourself!

How to Manually Install Android 2.2 Froyo On Your Verizon Droid Incredible

I just did it and it was easy! Enjoy

Nick

0 Likes
Re: Manually Install Froyo 2.2 on Droid Incredible
GLegend

Is this only for Root users or can anyone do this?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

root isn't required. however....i got my ota last night and MANY are getting it this morning. it looks like it's being pushed much more quickly now....if you don't want to mess with the manual install.

0 Likes
NickPro

I did the manual install with no problems. Works great!

0 Likes
Steezmatic
Manual install worked like a charm, thanks for the instructions.
0 Likes
yzf600
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did the manual update, worked perfectly

0 Likes
tr1kst4nce

Ok... so for those few on this thread who have installed it... I have a couple of newbie questions.

1.  How do you know you have the 2.2 update?  The only thing I can think of is to go into the camera and check for the 720p thing.

2.  What all did you get on the update?  Hotspot?  720p HD video capability?  What?  Anything else?

3.  What exactly is the "root" folder it talks about when doing it manually?  And is it safe to do it this way?  Especially off of some site.

Sorry for the newbie questions.  Your help is appreciated.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

tr1kst4nce wrote:

Ok... so for those few on this thread who have installed it... I have a couple of newbie questions.

1.  How do you know you have the 2.2 update?  The only thing I can think of is to go into the camera and check for the 720p thing.

Go to menu -> settings -> about phone -> software // That'll give you the version

2.  What all did you get on the update?  Hotspot?  720p HD video capability?  What?  Anything else?

Pretty icons, city ID that never stops, Skype mobile whether you want it or not, the ability to rotate the screen to the right now instead of just the left. Seriously, not a lot. Definitely nothing for people to ose sleep over. *edit** I forgot one important thing - I hear that it also enables bluetooth voice dialing. I haven't tried it yet. If this is true, then I would say that the update gets a definite +1. This is a feature that, even though I rarely need it, should be standard on every phone in existence.

3.  What exactly is the "root" folder it talks about when doing it manually?  And is it safe to do it this way?  Especially off of some site.

The root of the SDcard just means to put the downloaded file on your sd card, but NOT in a folder. Just drop it on there, all by it's lonesome. It has nothing to do with "rooting" your phone, in case you were curious. That's an entirely different animal.

Hope that helps a bit! Enjoy.

Sorry for the newbie questions.  Your help is appreciated.

0 Likes
tr1kst4nce

Thanks for the quick answers.  The only things I was really interested in was the 720p HD to shoot in on the rare occasion I take a video, and maybe the mobile hot spot, which I again wouldn't use all that often but it would be handy.  The rest of the stuff, ehhhh..

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

hot spot costs $20/month....all you get is the availability of it. you can't actually use it unless you pay $. most have agreed (including me) it's running twice as fast (there is a thread with quadrant scores pre 2.2 and post 2.2 somewhere here...all were about 2x faster). you can install apps (supported ones) to the sd card...saving space on your device's memory, and a bunch of other "fluff" type of stuff (slightly different look and feel to certain apps). so far it appears to be draining batteries even worse than before. i've been happy with it so far though.

0 Likes