Re: Manually Install Froyo 2.2 on Droid Incredible
AZSALUKI
Legend

oh yeah....and flash 10.1. here's a pretty good read with tips/tricks:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-handy-android-2-2-tips-and-t...

0 Likes
Phategod1

a question about the instructions it says "Before you copy it make sure its name is update.zip." Are they talking about the actual download because when I downloaded it was named 8e5ad8d6ea2d.OTA_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_3.21.605.1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip or are the referring to a file in there. that should be named update.zip

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Phategod1 wrote:

a question about the instructions it says "Before you copy it make sure its name is update.zip." Are they talking about the actual download because when I downloaded it was named 8e5ad8d6ea2d.OTA_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_3.21.605.1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip or are the referring to a file in there. that should be named update.zip

Yes. Name that giant file "update.zip", don't worry about the contents of it, your phone will handle that part.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

people also need to make sure if they have "hidden file extention: on" they just need to rename it update, and not update.zip.  It'll come out update.zip.zip.  I have seen a lot of people make that mistake including myself.

0 Likes
aibrean

Manual install WILL void your warranty.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

aibrean wrote:

Manual install WILL void your warranty.

Without going into the whole thing again (it's been posted all over these forums and around the interwebs)....

No you won't.

0 Likes
aibrean

From VZsupport:

@VZWSupport One last thing. Can I maualy update it to froyo?

@Blaxerx5 A leaked version will void your warranty.*TM

@vzwsupport Is this Htc Incredible froyo manual update legit? http://bit.ly/961yiq

@surfbreakn2000 The update will come OTA any leaked version will void your warranty.*TM

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

aibrean is correct. however, there is really NO way for them to know that you installed the leaked version. so you are sort of both right. it's the SAME file that goes OTA. i may be wrong, but i don't believe there would be ANY way for them to know you got the leak vs. ota.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

aibrean wrote:

From VZsupport:

@VZWSupport One last thing. Can I maualy update it to froyo?

@Blaxerx5 A leaked version will void your warranty.*TM

@vzwsupport Is this Htc Incredible froyo manual update legit? http://bit.ly/961yiq

@surfbreakn2000 The update will come OTA any leaked version will void your warranty.*TM

That's a "leaked" version, and not the official version.  With the way HTC does things when it's ready you will be able to MANUALLY download it from HTC's website themselves(of cource with Verizon bloatware).

0 Likes
FramCire

There are a lot of ways to get froyo:

OTA - Official - Warranty good

RUU - Official but you have to be careful - technically voids warranty but not easy to prove

Update.zip method - Official update, but artificially pushed - should not void warranty BUT still not sure

Root 2.2 - not official - voids warranty

I am still waiting for OTA because my phone is probably going to need to be replaced.  The update.zip method should just direct you to the official update, but I am not willing to risk that it does not.

Bottom line..... OTA is only way to assure warranty in place.  Anything else has some risk.

0 Likes