Motorola DROID 3 Overheating/Draining Battery
nbarry19

Hi, my Motorola Droid 3 which I've had no problems with all of the sudden started overheating (to the point of being burning hot) and totally draining my fully charged battery in a few hours while not even in use by me. It seems it's getting very hot at the Vodafone Verizon and microSD card slots, and getting so hot that it then also makes the battery very warm, and the phone dies very fast while it's locked and in my pocket.

I have uninstalled any app updates or apps that I downloaded recently, and the phone still gets burning hot as soon as it's either turned on, or plugged into charge and dies very quickly like I mentioned before. I can't keep having this happen, is the phone itself on it's last legs? I don't think it's the battery itself, as it seems to be overheating in the card slots below it first, then draining. Please help, thank you!!!

- Nick

0 Likes
Re: Motorola DROID 3 Overheating/Draining Battery
nbarry19

ALSO: I just took the microSD card out, and started my phone. It did not get hot. As soon as I then put the microSD card back into its slot, in literally 2 seconds it was absolutely burning hot...

The only thing I remember doing out of the ordinary, was doing a "force stop" on my Youtube application 2 nights ago, because it was not working. Could that have something to do with this? I uninstalled the updates to Youtube that I had installed today to see if that would help.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nbarry19 wrote:

ALSO: I just took the microSD card out, and started my phone. It did not get hot. As soon as I then put the microSD card back into its slot, in literally 2 seconds it was absolutely burning hot...

I think you just answered your own question - if it's fine without the SD card, then the SD card is the culprit.  How old is the card?  Can you get a new card, and copy the info from the current card?  What happens if you try to view the card in your computer (with an adapter or card reader?)

0 Likes
TVHRichmond

Hot phone?  I see many complaints here about this issue, over several years.  Here's mine for July, 2014. The phone was working fine (after Motorola silently fixed the problem they created with some change done done several months ago).  My phone was then working fine, but started to get HOT about a month ago.   So hot it's uncomfortable to hold, and the battery drains too fast. I took it to a Verizon corporate site.  The tech didn't know what, if anything, was wrong.  Nothing wrong?  So why did it just start?  He ordered me a replacement phone and I still have the same problem, so it's not anything I did.  Pretty frustrating to spend so much money on a defective product and a poor service provider

0 Likes