Motorola Droid - Slow 3G speed in Raleigh, NC
ncmanbs

I have the original Motorola droid with android 2.2.  I am running baseband c_01.43.01P

Using Speedtest's android app my upload rates are faster than my download rates.

Driving on an interstate, I average 523 down and 567 up.

I connected to my home wireless and the speed was accurately measured, so I feel confident that speedtest's app works fine.

I have GPS and bluetooth turned off, and data sync on.  I was testing against greenlight in Wilson, NC and I picked a server in Kansas.  I did not see any speed difference between the two.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can have faster download speeds?

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid - Slow 3G speed in Raleigh, NC
RonAnderson
You can go, menu, settings, about phone, status and it will tell you what Your signal strength is. Mine is on aggressive at my house, -95 dBm. It is pretty poor. It is better that Verizon bought all tell here. I used to get no signal at home. BTW that signal strength isn't the best in the world., I hold it in the same spot I don't get reception.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, I'm in Garner and my signal strength and speeds have taken a dump over the last few months and it's not a coincidence as it seems to be a widespread problem.  I was at NC State this afternoon and the browser just crawled.  Everyone gave AT&T crap with the iphone and looks like the droids are finally taking a toll on Verizon.

0 Likes
RonAnderson
Actually vzw is doing great to me I have great signal it just goes in and out. I am 10 miles to closest town. Nothing but cows, hay, and peanuts around here. There is a sprint tower in my cousins back field.
0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

Hello ncmanbs. I have read your post and understand your concern with your signal and speed on your device. When you go to a new area the best thing to do is to dial *228 press send and select option 2 so you can be on the best towers in the area. You will also want to do the *228 every 30 days to keep your device connected to the best towers so you will continue to receive signal and speed on your device. 

0 Likes
ncwildcat1

I would like to join this thread. I too have noticed slow service - specifically in the last few months. I don't buy the PRL thing, because Verizon does not give me the correct PRL because I don't want to pay their ridiculously high charges and choose to keep my Alltel grandfathered plan. So, I get an Alltel PRL, not a Verizon one. I have to manually change my PRL to get decent signal, which is **bleep**. I pay VERIZON, not Alltel, so they need to give me the right PRL. 

0 Likes