Need help with getting a phone.
rockchalk88
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter broke her screen a month ago.  The phone was still usable until yesterday when it died.  We did not take out the insurance since no one in our family had broken a phone before (go figure) so what options do I have to get her a phone without spending $500  since I am "in contract"?  Can I purchase a used Verizon phone from Ebay and bring it in to the store to activate it?  New territory for me so any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Need help with getting a phone.
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look for a Verizon-branded phone (with a clean ESN) at ebay or swappa, or borrow a phone from a friend.

And all it takes to activate the phone is to move the SIM card (assuming whatever phone you get uses the same size; otherwise, SIM cards are free at your local Corporate Verizon store or by calling Customer Service).

0 Likes
rockchalk88
Enthusiast - Level 1

So the SIM card provides all the activation info on it?  Once I put the SIM card into the different Verizon phone it will work under my existing plan, correct?  Thanks for the reply also. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct

Brote525

This is exactly my current issue. Broken phone with existing contract through June 2015. I too made the mistake of no insurance. tikibar1  you mention a clean ESN - what does this mean? thank you!

rockchalk88 have you tried this solution with the SIM card? Did it work? Thanks!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The "SIM card solution" works ... I've activated phones multiple times by just moving the SIM card from one phone to another.

Check the ESN to ensure that the phone hasn't been blacklisted (such as reported stolen).  If the phone doesn't have a clean ESN/MEID, you won't be able to activate it.

http://swappa.com/esn

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do?&zipRdr=y