Re: No 3G, No 4G--Incredibly Frustrated!
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Network outage across the U.S.
0 Likes
DanV

That's one of the worst Beach Boys songs ever.

I still have 4G 2 hours in, but one of my coworkers also on a Charge has nothing.  Weird.

0 Likes
PhillipDampier

We have now learned the network outage has to do with SIM cards, which of course means LTE/4G phones.  Those with 3G phones are unaffected.  Unfortunately, some 4G phones like the Charge are not able to step down to 3G, even when you turn 4G off in the settings.  Anyone try pulling the SIM card out completely and seeing if at least 3G becomes stable?

More details:  http://stopthecap.com/2011/12/07/verizon-wireless-lte-outage-impacts-service-on-east-coast/

0 Likes
mrodimer8

Not sure about anyone else but removing my SIM from my droid charge doesn't allow me any kind of service at all. It just says no SIM card. Rest assured, I'll be asking for a refund from my bill beginning 11/6 and ending whenever they sort this out. I find it unbelievable that we LTE users aren't able to correctly step down to the old 3G towers or whatever.

0 Likes
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

A bit tardy in reporting this since I was AFK, but my 4G returned in central PA by a little after 7 pm EST.  (It could have been earlier.)

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

No 4g here in Houston Texaas, but able to force the phoen to 3g only (yes yo ucan step down).

'

Goto settings..WIreless and Networks...Mobile networks..System selection... CDMA MODE...Automatic...

SHould swithc you to 3G only.

WHen in LTE I can't get it to kick in and if it does it takes awhile when normally it is isntant.

Oddly My friend has no 4g on ATT right now either.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

NVM I have 4g again.

ATT is still otu for my firend however its defaultign to 3x

0 Likes
JstOneMoreDroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

HoustonHeart wrote:

Goto settings..WIreless and Networks...Mobile networks..System selection... CDMA MODE...Automatic...

This has not been working consistantly- though it looks like 4G is back here.

0 Likes
dmc213

I do not want to throw gas on the fire but, my Charge goes from 3G to 4G or from 4G to 3G automatically.  I do not live in a 4G area so most of the time I have CDMA mode selected at home.  When I make trips to town which is covered  by 4G, I switch to 4G mode and place the phone in the cradle in the car and make a game of watching to see when it changes to 4G and do the reverse on the trip home.

I do notice at home where I have very weak signal, -105 to -115dbm is the norm here, that when I use WIFI the 3G icon in the notification area goes away but the one bar is always lit.  When I turn off WIFI I will not get the "3G" to come back on until I hit the browser or email or other app that requires data.  I still get my texts and emails even if the 3G is not up there.

On TG day my son-in-law visited.  He has an X2 and had full bars at my house, while I only had one bar.  I did not look at his signal strength.  

My conclusion is that when the phone has to have two different radios installed in it, neither one is very powerful.  My D2 always has more signal streingth than the Charge does.

0 Likes