Re: P3Droid says that 2.3.6 is the final version submitted to verizon
djs3322

I am a little nervous to do this.  Can you send me the instructions you used to do this?  Was it easy like everyone says it is and how do I go back if needed?  Thanks!

0 Likes
riffrafter

djs3322 wrote:

I am a little nervous to do this.  Can you send me the instructions you used to do this?  Was it easy like everyone says it is and how do I go back if needed?  Thanks!

Check the Droid Charge by Samsung Android Update thread.  I posted links to the files and step by step instructions there.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

In official testing (not leaks) when it is said to be final build, samsung often yanks it and works on the next build delayign it, it was goign to be released in octboer but never went to TA.

However EP4p has gone to TA a week or so ago, so that means it should hit airways after Nov 25.

0 Likes
trparky
Contributor - Level 1

We just got source code!  I repeat, we just got source code!  Source code for Samsung SCH-I510 Gingerbread internal build number EP4D has been posted to the Samsung Open Source Web Site!

What does this mean for the rest of us?  It's simple... an OTA to Gingerbread is days away.  Seriously, this is the best news we could be hoping for!

Need proof?  Go to https://opensource.samsung.com and type in SCH-I510 in the search box at the top and click Search.  Take note of the EP4D release.  That's we've all been waiting for!

Usually when source code is released, that means that the update isn't too far behind it.  Usually it's days away.  Samsung doesn't release source code, especially kernel source code, unless the version that the code is being released for is intended to be released as an update to the actual phones.  That is Samsung policy.

0 Likes
Mean_Streak

This certainly could be great news for all of us!!!  Any idea what the difference is between EP4P and EP4D?

0 Likes
plainv70
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's an understatement to say that this is highly anticipated...

I've been wondering:

does the Charge has the horsepower to run ICS satisfactorily--i.e. competitively so? If not, then this could be the last update for the Charge. From a business manager's point of view, then, why throw any more development money at a phone that is soon to be obsolete (for sure commercially as newer models are released, if not technically)?  It makes sense to me then to release the source code and let the technically able user base do the work (clean up) for you.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

The Charge should be able to run ICS, just depends on if Verizon and Samsung want to put the time and effort into this phone. ICS was built and tested on the Nexus S, which has very similar hardware. The Nexus S is getting ICS, so the Charge should be able to run it, they may have to cut certain features of the OS out in order for it to work properly, but they could still make a functioning ICS OS for the Charge, but who knows if they will want to or not. It would still be within the 18 month period of supporting the phone though.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

The change log does mention that they added a SUA (Software Update Assistant).....could this mean that they plan on releasing more OTA updates to the Charge then? ICS in another....8 months??? Wishful thinking lol...but maybe just for more bug fixes and such? Any ideas?

0 Likes
UMFootball1989
0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

UMF, it sure is VERY VERY nice to see this change log...thank the good lord it will finally be pushed OTA soon. Sometimes, people are able to pull the OTA update manually shortly after the change log posts, even though it is rumored that it will release around the 29th, hopefully we can manually pull it sometime soon before the end of the month!

0 Likes