Phone update fails/text messages not going through?
Starbex

Every time my phone restarts (often when the battery dies), when it turns back on it says it needs to do a system update. If i click "yes," to do the update, it starts the countdown to the reset and update. When the countdown gets to zero, the window goes away and nothing happens. Then if I go to "System Updates" in settings, it says my phone is up to date, so what's going on? Also, some of my text messages aren't going through to another verizon customer on my plan (I'm not sure if it's happening with other phones or not.) Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Phone update fails/text messages not going through?
O_Dzy

My phone is almost doing the same after the last two updates, cant receive txt/mms but can send them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Starbex, no need to worry because I’m here to help! I can imagine how frustrating this can get so let’s get to the bottom of this.

The current software version: Build Number: 4.08.605.15 710RD; Baseband Version: 2.15.10.12.20. What version are you running on your phone? Usually when the software update fails to download a hard reset http://bit.ly/oOaRQt will do the trick. Have you tried performing the hard reset? This should help with both the software and messaging issue you are experiencing.

In regards to the text messages, does it happen with every text you send to that number? Are you getting an error message when sending the text? Do you have a signature for your text messages? If so, remove it and retry.

Please post back if you continue to experience these issues after performing the hard reset.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rsphokie

John B

I have the same problem with the system update.  Baseband version 2.15.10.07.07 and build number 4.08.605.2 CL 185897 release-keys

There has to be a way to fix this without doing a hard reset of the phone.  That should be a last resort.

0 Likes
yogachick

DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!!! seriously, if you look around on the forum you will see most if not all of us who have updated have had serious problems with our once fabulous phone. People have had problems with everything from not receiving texts, to their phone crashing, to their camera not working..random crazy shit and it because of the update. I was at the Verizon store last night because my phone was not receiving text messages. I was told by the not so helpful technician that they couldn't do anything to fix my phone so that I could receive texts again, that 'some customers were having problems with the recent update and that it was affecting their phone's functioning'. He told me my options because my phone is no longer under warranty were 1. to upgrade because my contract is up (this means losing my unlimited data..whole other rant) or 2. going thru insurance and paying the $100 deductible to get a similar refurbished phone. I left frustrated. When I went home I went to the HTC website, that's when I realized that MANY people are having the same problem. On the forum there one of the  HTC support guys wrote this: I copied and pasted it. I did it and it last night and it worked for me. make sure you send the text message to yourself. Good Luck!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey there @Mek!  The hotfix is available at a URL we have set up to download from.  Before doing the hotfix though you will need to ensure you have Unknown Sources enabled.  This just means you can install something on your phone that did not come from the Google Play Store, which, while typically not recommended unless you trust the source, is something you need to enable to install the patch we have created.  This patch is 100% safe as it was designed by us here at HTC. 

To do so, just start at your home screen and press Menu > Settings  > Applications > Unknown sources > Okay.  Once you have enabled unknown sources, open up your browser and enter the following URL: dl3.htc.com/.../inc8049.apk.  The website looks a little intimidating, but it is completely safe to download from as it was set up by HTC directly.  This URL is case sensitive so you must make sure you enter it exactly as it appears.  As soon as you enter this you should notice a download begin.  Drag down your notification bar and you should see a file called inc8049.apk.  Tap this file, then tap Install.  Once it has installed, tap Open.  At this point, return to your home screen, then to your messages app and create a text message addressed to yourself.  In a matter of minutes you will receive all of the text messages you had missed during this time!  Let us know if you have any trouble with these steps, or even if you’d just like to have someone walk you through this process, by getting a hold of our customer support team.  Their contact information is available at www.htc.com/us/support.

0 Likes