Post OTA 12/9 Update (Dropping connection and not email syncing)
styd24

Received the OTA update Friday afternoon and it was applied successfully.   Phone acted it always does through the weekend.   This morning notice a few odd behaviors.

(1) GMAIL - Not syncing on it's own, have to manually sync (have to go to account in gmail and hit refresh).   Kind of a big pain. (BIG PAIN).

(2) Data Connection - Seems to drop several times when in use.  Also things taking a while to refresh or return.   After a period of time it is going over to 1x (what the update was all about) but apps are notifing that a data connection is not available and it stops even though the 1X is now available.   Must close and reopen to get it to work.   Slow does not describe it well. Not worth trying to get any content in 1X today. 

(3) Other syncing programs (Facebook, Twitter), I have to go in and manually sync them, they are not stay sync'd.   Syncing of anything is taking minutes.  

Today's activities are just out of character of what it was over the weekend post update.

I have cycled the handset on/off a number of times today with several including removing the battery for a minute plus.  Nothing is working on chaning the behavior.

Is there a netowrk issue preventing activities or possible new bugs in the OTA?

Please advise Verizon Support!

0 Likes
Re: Post OTA 12/9 Update (Dropping connection and not email syncing)
VEN

I have decided to wait for the update, apply it and see how it works. I am concerned about data connection more than anything. If the data connection issue still persists after the patch, then the next step for me is to wait for Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I will not repeat the mistake of buying any smartphone on the very first day. Once the Galaxy Nexus is released, I will wait for a full month to see the feedback from users posted online and if it has good data connection, go for it. I am not confident that this patch will fix the data connection for every  Bionic owner.

0 Likes
Joey301
Enthusiast - Level 3

VEN wrote:

I have decided to wait for the update, apply it and see how it works. I am concerned about data connection more than anything. If the data connection issue still persists after the patch, then the next step for me is to wait for Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I will not repeat the mistake of buying any smartphone on the very first day. Once the Galaxy Nexus is released, I will wait for a full month to see the feedback from users posted online and if it has good data connection, go for it. I am not confident that this patch will fix the data connection for every  Bionic owner.

I think that is about the best plan I can think of too. I will never again jump quickly to a phone. However, instead of the Nexus, I will probably become an Apple fanboy. It seems that Verizon does not care that they put forward this brick, otherwise, they would tell us to bring it back and swap it for a decent phone. They should own up to it quickly the way Apple did with the iPhone battery isue and the way that Jawbone has recalled their little Up device. . Bionic Brick owner

0 Likes
styd24

styd24 wrote:

Received the OTA update Friday afternoon and it was applied successfully.   Phone acted it always does through the weekend.   This morning notice a few odd behaviors.

(1) GMAIL - Not syncing on it's own, have to manually sync (have to go to account in gmail and hit refresh).   Kind of a big pain. (BIG PAIN).

(2) Data Connection - Seems to drop several times when in use.  Also things taking a while to refresh or return.   After a period of time it is going over to 1x (what the update was all about) but apps are notifing that a data connection is not available and it stops even though the 1X is now available.   Must close and reopen to get it to work.   Slow does not describe it well. Not worth trying to get any content in 1X today. 

(3) Other syncing programs (Facebook, Twitter), I have to go in and manually sync them, they are not stay sync'd.   Syncing of anything is taking minutes.  

Today's activities are just out of character of what it was over the weekend post update.

I have cycled the handset on/off a number of times today with several including removing the battery for a minute plus.  Nothing is working on chaning the behavior.

Is there a netowrk issue preventing activities or possible new bugs in the OTA?

Please advise Verizon Support!

Day after these problems things are back functioning correctly.   To make me feel better 4GLTE was turned on a few days early to the schedule that was published in the local papers and other websites..   To my amazement I get a data connection at home now and stays connected which I did not have previousily.

Have to say maybe the problems were network related.   Phone is syncing and things are very fast now.   Noticed late last night things were essentially back to working as expected.

The patch cleaned up a lot of the problems I was having with the data connections and occasional freezing (of course will need a few more days to prove out completely).   I still have not had any of the problems that others report so a little surprise with the brick comments.  My five co workers all on Bionic have had none of the other reported problems other than what the patch is addressing.

0 Likes