Question about upgrade 3g to 4g
wherryj

I'm due for an upgrade on April 21st on my Droid X.  I've had unlimited 3g data for four years with Verizon, but my wife cheaped out last contract and only wanted a "feature phone" with voice only.  She NOW wants a Droid Razr Maxx or iPhone 4S.

I've read that current unlimited 3g customers can grandfather to unlimited 4g.  Is this still true?  Will we be able to have one tiered and one unlimited, or will I lose my chance to grandfather? 

0 Likes
Re: Question about upgrade 3g to 4g
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The data plan is per line so one line can have the unlimited data plan and another one can have the tiered data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks, Ann154, for your reply.

Hello wherryj,

I'm glad to learn you'll be upgrading to one of our wonderful devices. If you currently have a 3G Smartphone with unlimited data and upgrade to a 4G Smartphone you are able to keep the unlimited data plan on that line. If you have a line with a device that does not have unlimited data you will need to select one of our current data plans when upgrading to a Smartphone. Thanks for continuing to Rule the Air with Verizon Wireless.

DaisyP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Neily2

I only have one line and want to upgrade from 3g to 4g but don't want to lose my unlimited data plan.  Do I have any options?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can pay full retail price for a new phone or buy it from some place like ebay; if you sign a new two-year contract (and thus get a subsidized phone), you will lose your unlimited data and have to choose a tiered data plan.

0 Likes
Neily2

thanks for your response.  If I buy a new phone on ebay, how do i get it activated and my old one unactivated without setting in motion the plan change?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again, you lose your unlimited if you sign a new contract.  If you buy a phone off ebay, you aren't signing a new contract.  If you do buy one from ebay or a similar vendor, ensure that the phone is Verizon branded and has a clean ESN/MEID before purchasing.  You'll also need a new SIM card to activate a 4G phone (a used phone won't have one); you can request one from Verizon during the activation process or get one free at your local Corporate Verizon store.

0 Likes