Re: Repeated messages that I have to login to my google acount
lagunder
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like many users, I have upgraded to 4.4.  I had a very similar message to other users, repeated requests to log in to my google account but the phone wouldn't even let me log in.  I did a hard reset and found then I couldn't log in to Facebook.  I got a refurbished phone from Verizon and less than one month later, have the same issue.  It does seem like going into an area with no service is the issue. However, I live in CO, and I'm going to do that many many times each year.

I read this forum (I searched on "google password") thinking I'd find the answer.  I tried every suggestion I saw and nothing worked.  I called Motorola device support this morning and they said "we only do hardware."  Since I firmly believe this is a software issue, I looked on Google's website tonight.  I engaged in a tech support chat with a level 1 tech who was absolutely no help.  The level 2 tech was equally unhelpful, although she did try.  One suggestion, which was absurd, was to change my account password. That might work, until the next time I travel.  Next suggestion, equally absurd, was to try a different google account, which I don't even have.  Apparently, level 3 tech support is not available for 2 WEEKS so I'm SOL with my phone.  And, by the way, although I engaged in the chat on the Google website, I reached Motorola hardware support.  The same people who said "we don't do software."

This has seriously, been the worst customer service experience I have had in years.  And I haven't even told you about the retarded guy I had to talk to from Verizon to get my refurbished phone (It took an hour and a half of sitting and literally spinning around in the chair at the store while he kept repeated putting me on hold for 5 minutes at a time) before I got an order.  Then, despite the free 2 day delivery, apparently, that means 2 business days and if the weather is bad (which it wasn't by the day I should have had my phone) all bets are off.  I will be back at my Verizon vendor tomorrow probably just as hopping mad as I am right now.

joeseph0171

I have the same issue.  I have been reading all over the web that others are also.  I am having the issue at work.  It seems to be as soon as it losses a cell signal that it prompts me.  Doesn't make sense though because I am still on WiFi.  This is crap that we (I have noticed the same people on all of the forums) are having this issue and nobody seems to care enough to fix it.

0 Likes
LPJTech

This worked for my Droid Mini.   Create an Application-Specific Password via your Google account.

Same errors as other users described.  In my case, I tried accessing my Mini’s Google apps (Gmail, Tracks,etc) while out-of-country using Wi-Fi and received the "Account action required" alert and it goes into a re-enter password loop.  On my iPad2 and Win8Pro laptop – no problem with accessing Google apps.   Once back in US, I had same errors only with my Droid Mini.

I suspected it has to with Google's 2-step verification process. I initially wanted to temporarily disable the feature to see if that will resolve that issue. Before I could ‘confirm’ that I wanted to disable the 2-step verification, it prompted the following:

“Are you turning off 2-step verification because of trouble signing into your account on your phone, or accessing your account on other apps? You may need to use an application-specific password with devices and applications that don't know how to accept verification codes.“

I canceled out of there and clicked on App-Specific passwords. Once I set that up, my Droid Mini’s Google apps started to sync again.

How?

• Click on down arrow next to your email address on the top right corner of your screen
  • Select Security>Password Section>App Passwords>Settings> it will prompt you to re-enter your Google password.
  • Once you are on the "Authorized Access to your Google Account" page, follow the instructions to create a new application–specific password.   In my case, create an entry for “Gmail for Droid Mini” and click on Generate Password. 
  • I did not have to create separate App-Specific passwords for each my Mini’s Google apps like Google Maps or Tracks.  Just did once and it applied it to all the Google apps on my Mini.

Hope that works for you.

0 Likes
joeseph0171

I called Motorola and got to their Level Two support that told me that "Google is aware of the issue and is working it.  There should be an update by June."  NICE SUPPORT!!!

0 Likes
BobFarley
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having the same problem for months... It came with kitcat, which hasn't seemed to help me any; just give me this headache. I know it has something to do with not being able to connect to Verizon Cell towers. It only happens when I am at work because my phone connects to another cell network and gives me the bars at the top with the red X on it that says only emergency calls are allowed. When I am at work, it kills the battery in about 5 hours, forces me to reenter my google password a ton of times every day and, of course if I forget to plug it in, I go home without a phone. Verizon really sucks at support too. I went to both Verizon and Motorola and they said they needed to do the mobile desktop, so I let them. But they don't get that the problem doesn't happen when I put the phone on the windowsill because then I have Verizon service. What boneheads!

0 Likes
jsasin

I had same problem. Had to reboot and factory reset several times. Finally I was shipped a free replacement that finally fixed it. I still have tons of issues with this phone. I have upgrade in a month but can't upgrade early in store have to do over the phone and wait for it to come in the mail. I wish Verizon would change that policy as I am old school and would like to physically hold my new phone and then be able to take it home then and there

0 Likes
gaiusgracchus
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got rid of it by removing my gmail account completely and restarting the phone.   This was done on an HTC android phone.

I went to settings (selected the box of 9 dots then picked the Settings icon that looks like a gear) and scrolled down to Accounts & sync).

Then highlighted Google and where it said "Sync is on" went to the rightmost side of display with the three dots (---).

Selected the three dots and it offered choices:   'Sync now'   and 'Remove'.

I chose 'Remove' and restarted the phone afterwards.

Problem is gone.   I might reinstall the Google account at some point, but for now the problem has completely disappeared.

0 Likes