SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem error Help!?!?!
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

While taking pics yesterday I got a notification that stated "Blank SD card (SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem)". This SD card is in my Motorola Droid X (which I have only had for 8mnths).  I am not able to take pics, lost all photos and music that was on my phone.

SanDisk 16gb Micro SD HC

I tried 3 different computers and none of them will recognize the SD card. (with adapter and usb cord)

I have not done a format on the card yet incase there is a chance to recover the missing data.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

90 Replies
cw12079
Newbie

Just had the same thing happen to me today.... Went to Verizon store and when I asked them about it they just said that they were going to overnight a new phone to me... I still haven't been able to get mine to work. Have tried taking battery out and removing the sd card and still did not work. Also tried mounting the sd card in via the phone menu and still did not work. Verizon offered no explanation as to why this happened either....

0 Likes
Reply
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Try reading the sd card with a separate card reader on a computer. If that works. Copy the contents of the sd card to a folder on the computer. Then format the sd card. Then you can copy the contents back to the sd card. I would suggest that you copy one folder at a time. Then if there is a corrupt file, you will have a better chance of pinpointing it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Reply
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Cw12079,

 

I understand how important your pictures and videos are to you, as the same is important to me! Thanks Ann154, for your posting. I would definitely recommend following her instructions to see if you can retrieve your data. 

 

I do want to ask,  have you been able to get the data backed up to your PC or back on the device? Did the replacement phone fix it for you? Please post back with how it is working for you. 

 

Thank you, 

0 Likes
Reply
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Everyone!  Thanks again for your suggestions!!!!!

 

Unfortunately I was not able to recover the photos and music from the corrupted SD card.  I tried using several card readers, desktop PC's, laptops, Windows XP, Windows 7, connecting the phone to systems with USB cord.  I even downloaded several free data recovery apps.  When I ran the recovery programs all of them came back with no data/files found.  I still have the card hoping that I come across something that works. 

 

Again, Verizon was not helpful over the phone.  THey transferred me to Motorola again no help.  Motorola never called me back like they said.  I still need to go into an actual Verizon store... They can at least replace my card for me which I was told they would on the phone when I placed my original call for help.

 

I had a spare 2gb card that I put in the phone and everything works fine now.  I noticed since doing a recent system update the phone reboots a lot more then ever.  I wonder if this may have had anything to do with it? 

 

I just don't understand HOW this happen while in the middle of taken photos. 

 

Thanks again!

Stacey

0 Likes
Reply
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

I just did another update on my phone.  YEAH, guess what just happen?  The phone can NOT recognize my SD card. 

What is going on??  Are you not suppose to update the phone with the SD card in?  Is it typical when doing updates the card is erased? 

 

Grabbing my keys right now and heading into the Verizon store now!  Wish me luck!

0 Likes
Reply
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok that was weird!  I plugged the usb cable in for a few seconds and removed it.  NOW my pics and music are on the phone/sd card?  This is on the new 2gb card.  Still going to verizon.

0 Likes
Reply
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

stacnpa wrote:

While taking pics yesterday I got a notification that stated "Blank SD card (SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem)". This SD card is in my Motorola Droid X (which I have only had for 8mnths).  I am not able to take pics, lost all photos and music that was on my phone.

SanDisk 16gb Micro SD HC

I tried 3 different computers and none of them will recognize the SD card. (with adapter and usb cord)

I have not done a format on the card yet incase there is a chance to recover the missing data.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!


Don't expect Verizon to do anything about it. I tried last week on both the 800# and in the corporate store across from work and they both pretty much told me it's not their problem and I was SOL.

 

best thing you can do is just shell out a little money to get your own card and not deal with VZW about it. They don't care as they consider the card a 'freebie' and will do everything in their power to avoid having to replace it (some stores will actually do the right thing, but very few and far between). Amazing how a card that is worth to Verizon about $5 at the most will have lost them a customer becuase they can't be bothered to replace something that the phone came with, yet they say is Motorola's problem

 

good luck with getting it fixed

0 Likes
Reply
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

This is amazing - suddenly all these SD cards are coming up as being bad on Droid X's lately. Mine failed 2 weeks ago and now I'm finding several posts a day about them failing on other cards

 

I've actually purchased a new SD card on my own (thanks for nothing VZW!) and I noticed Saturday evening when trying to take pictures at a wedding with it, that it wouldn't save the pictures I took. I rebooted the phone and I could take them again (one picture showed some signs of corruption), but less than 24 hrs later the problem came back until I did a reboot. This is exactly what was going on with my phone prior to the original VZW supplied SD card crapped out on me and I'm hoping that I'm not gonna be out $$ for my new SD card to crap out too. I'm really starting to think it is the phone that is causing the cards to go bad. I had the problem show up after the original GB update...it was fine when it was on Froyo. How can I put a brand new PNY 16GB class 10 SD card in my phone and 2 weeks later it is showing signs of potentially being corrupted? yeah I'm sure some of you will say they go bad more often than most think, but 2 cards go bad in the same phone within a months time? Thats not right

0 Likes
Reply
TrishMeister
Newbie

A few months ago, this happened to me, first time my SD card was reading "SD card blank or has unspported file system", which all my music files and pictures were wiped out or so it appeared.  Transferred the SD card to another reader, was not able to read it or format at all, so total loss.  Not only that my droid was automatically turning back on when I had conveniently turned it off. this haooened quite random.  So I called the Droid support system, the agent indicated that they have not heard of such reports that this is happening...however, they agreed to replace my SD card, so they sent the necessary information.  But what bothered me was in order for me to get a replacement SD card, I had to ship it overnight express, so not to damage it...and get this, I had to pay for overnight shipping.  at the cost to ship a chip overnight was costing ~$, so I figured what sense did it make to pay that cost to ship that card when I could just go out and buy another one for the same cost.  So I did, went out and bought one...my loss.

 

Months later, (actually yesterday to be exact), 2nd time, happened AGAIN..."SD card blank or has unsupported file system...not able to format, everything wiped out AGAIN, good thing I backed things up on my computer, so now I'm out of another SD card, called the droid/motorola community, once again, they say they have not heard of such thing happening, or maybe I got the wrong agent again.  They were willing to have me ship the phone to them, for any type of repair or take it to a location.  I am going to Verizon.

 

I just refuse to believe that they are saying they have never heard of the phone turning back on, when manually turned off and the SD cards being wiped out like that.  Makes no sense to me at all.

0 Likes
Reply
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

TrishMeister wrote:

A few months ago, this happened to me, first time my SD card was reading "SD card blank or has unspported file system", which all my music files and pictures were wiped out or so it appeared.  Transferred the SD card to another reader, was not able to read it or format at all, so total loss.  Not only that my droid was automatically turning back on when I had conveniently turned it off. this haooened quite random.  So I called the Droid support system, the agent indicated that they have not heard of such reports that this is happening...however, they agreed to replace my SD card, so they sent the necessary information.  But what bothered me was in order for me to get a replacement SD card, I had to ship it overnight express, so not to damage it...and get this, I had to pay for overnight shipping.  at the cost to ship a chip overnight was costing ~$, so I figured what sense did it make to pay that cost to ship that card when I could just go out and buy another one for the same cost.  So I did, went out and bought one...my loss.

 

Months later, (actually yesterday to be exact), 2nd time, happened AGAIN..."SD card blank or has unsupported file system...not able to format, everything wiped out AGAIN, good thing I backed things up on my computer, so now I'm out of another SD card, called the droid/motorola community, once again, they say they have not heard of such thing happening, or maybe I got the wrong agent again.  They were willing to have me ship the phone to them, for any type of repair or take it to a location.  I am going to Verizon.

 

I just refuse to believe that they are saying they have never heard of the phone turning back on, when manually turned off and the SD cards being wiped out like that.  Makes no sense to me at all.


Verizon won't replace it, so no sense in going there. If you goto the store they will probably laugh at you and tell you that you are out of luck, like they did with me. They will tell you that their 'official' policy is that you have to goto Motorola or SanDisk depending upon the card included with the phone. Its a very stupid policy considering the card came with the phone and they'll replace the actual phone if there is a problem, yet not the SD card it came with. Anyway, you're better off just buying a card of your own like I did, although I'm finding some signs of the card I bought as a replacement is potentially headed towards corruption just like the one the phone came with did....I can't voice my true displeasure with VZW without getting my hand slapped by them like I did last night.....anyway good luck getting it resolve

0 Likes
Reply
jephro
Newbie

I am having the same problem, although I haven't replaced the SD card yet. Has anyone been able to successfully recover their pictures or other data off the corrupted card?

0 Likes
Reply
Cody21
Master - Level 2

If it is truly "corrupted", then doubtful that you can get the data off of it ... maybe there are companies out there that have some magical way of being able to get to the data and copy it ... But i've never known of any and if they CAN, it will likely be pretty expensive.  Mine is now 13 months old and all this "corruption" chat gets me nervous - so I've been making sure to backup any files I don't wish to lose to my PC.

 

Just curious - when you say your card is "corrupted", do you mean the phone can't access ANYTHING on it? including APPS that were installed on it? or is it just one-off files or pics or music?  Have you tried re-FORMATTING it via the phone?

0 Likes
Reply
jephro
Newbie

Cody21 wrote:

If it is truly "corrupted", then doubtful that you can get the data off of it ... maybe there are companies out there that have some magical way of being able to get to the data and copy it ... But i've never known of any and if they CAN, it will likely be pretty expensive.  Mine is now 13 months old and all this "corruption" chat gets me nervous - so I've been making sure to backup any files I don't wish to lose to my PC.

 

Just curious - when you say your card is "corrupted", do you mean the phone can't access ANYTHING on it? including APPS that were installed on it? or is it just one-off files or pics or music?  Have you tried re-FORMATTING it via the phone?


 


Hi Cody,

It's mostly the pictures that have dissapeared/can't be read. I haven't noticed much of a problem with the apps but I haven't gone through them all yet and I don't have any music stored on it anyway. I haven't tried re-formatting it yet with the hopes that some of the pics can be saved.

0 Likes
Reply
Cody21
Master - Level 2

OK, that's whaqt I was just trying to confirm -- your SD Card is NOT corrupted ... it's specific files that are the issue. I had a similar issue several months ago where a few of my pictures were "unreadable" and I presumed "corrupted" somehow. Here's how I fixed it ..

 

1 - download/install  "GALLERY 3D" from Market (free)  --  see if THIS app can read the ones that won't read with the stock Gallery. When you first launch it, it searches all images on your phone and creates folders of the images. After that open each folder and see if any of th images pop up with a GREY box and not an image/icon like the other ones.  Those would be the suspected corrupted images.

 

2 - Connect your phone via USB and MOVE all your images off the phone to your PC.  Browse through them on your PC and see if any are "corrupted" ....  then only COPY the ones you want on the phone back to the phone.

 

Let me know how this proceeds.

0 Likes
Reply
Cody21
Master - Level 2

 

 

OK, just tested this to confirm -- this does NOT delete your pictures. It just rebuilds the Gallery "folders" ... so 1st time you laucn Gallery after doing this can take a few mins depending on the # of pics ..

 

Settings / Applications / ALL (tab at top) /  scroll down to Media Storage & click on it / Clear Data   -- then Reboot the phone ...

0 Likes
Reply
jephro
Newbie

Cody21 wrote:

OK, that's whaqt I was just trying to confirm -- your SD Card is NOT corrupted ... it's specific files that are the issue. I had a similar issue several months ago where a few of my pictures were "unreadable" and I presumed "corrupted" somehow. Here's how I fixed it ..

 

1 - download/install  "GALLERY 3D" from Market (free)  --  see if THIS app can read the ones that won't read with the stock Gallery. When you first launch it, it searches all images on your phone and creates folders of the images. After that open each folder and see if any of th images pop up with a GREY box and not an image/icon like the other ones.  Those would be the suspected corrupted images.

 

2 - Connect your phone via USB and MOVE all your images off the phone to your PC.  Browse through them on your PC and see if any are "corrupted" ....  then only COPY the ones you want on the phone back to the phone.

 

Let me know how this proceeds.



Thanks. I'll try this as soon as I get home and let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
Reply
jephro
Newbie

jephro wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

OK, that's whaqt I was just trying to confirm -- your SD Card is NOT corrupted ... it's specific files that are the issue. I had a similar issue several months ago where a few of my pictures were "unreadable" and I presumed "corrupted" somehow. Here's how I fixed it ..

 

1 - download/install  "GALLERY 3D" from Market (free)  --  see if THIS app can read the ones that won't read with the stock Gallery. When you first launch it, it searches all images on your phone and creates folders of the images. After that open each folder and see if any of th images pop up with a GREY box and not an image/icon like the other ones.  Those would be the suspected corrupted images.

 

2 - Connect your phone via USB and MOVE all your images off the phone to your PC.  Browse through them on your PC and see if any are "corrupted" ....  then only COPY the ones you want on the phone back to the phone.

 

Let me know how this proceeds.



Thanks. I'll try this as soon as I get home and let you know how it goes.


Good idea, but it didn't work. I can't get anything to read or recognize the SD card. I've tried plugging it into the PC as well and it wont show up as removeable storage drive.

0 Likes
Reply
Cody21
Master - Level 2

OK, we need to be more specific to try to help ...  Did you install the device driver on your PC?  You need to have that installed 1st. Have you EVER been able to get USB to work and 'see' the SD Card? When you connect the phone via USB, what specifically happens on the phone? You SHOULD get a notification on the top tool bar that you swipe down and have options on how you wish to connect - the option you want is "USB MASS STORAGE" ...

0 Likes
Reply
jephro
Newbie

Cody21 wrote:

OK, we need to be more specific to try to help ...  Did you install the device driver on your PC?  You need to have that installed 1st. Have you EVER been able to get USB to work and 'see' the SD Card? When you connect the phone via USB, what specifically happens on the phone? You SHOULD get a notification on the top tool bar that you swipe down and have options on how you wish to connect - the option you want is "USB MASS STORAGE" ...


Yes, I did connect via USB with the drivers installed. I did select USB Mass Storage (as well as the other options, just to check). The SD card is "seen' but says that there is no data on the card. (btw, I have also tried using the SD card adapter in the SD card slot but no luck that way either.)

0 Likes
Reply
hlturner
Newbie

mine wont read apps that i downloaded directly onto the card like my nursing central, no pics, no videos, no ring tones, no nothing.  i had over a thousand pics of my new born baby girl on that card, never thought i'd have a problem like this.  haven't formatted the card yet, hanging on to hope.  any new ideas?

0 Likes
Reply