Re: SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem error Help!?!?!
Cody21
Master - Level 2

OK, we need to be more specific to try to help ...  Did you install the device driver on your PC?  You need to have that installed 1st. Have you EVER been able to get USB to work and 'see' the SD Card? When you connect the phone via USB, what specifically happens on the phone? You SHOULD get a notification on the top tool bar that you swipe down and have options on how you wish to connect - the option you want is "USB MASS STORAGE" ...

0 Likes
jephro

Cody21 wrote:

OK, we need to be more specific to try to help ...  Did you install the device driver on your PC?  You need to have that installed 1st. Have you EVER been able to get USB to work and 'see' the SD Card? When you connect the phone via USB, what specifically happens on the phone? You SHOULD get a notification on the top tool bar that you swipe down and have options on how you wish to connect - the option you want is "USB MASS STORAGE" ...

Yes, I did connect via USB with the drivers installed. I did select USB Mass Storage (as well as the other options, just to check). The SD card is "seen' but says that there is no data on the card. (btw, I have also tried using the SD card adapter in the SD card slot but no luck that way either.)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Jephro, I know how important it can be to save your data from your SD card. If the card cannot be read on the phone or a computer, then other options for restoring data would be using 3rd party recovery programs. There are several out there that may work as long as you haven't formatted your card. I had similar issue happen to me once while on vacation. My card became corrupted and I thought I would lose all my pictures. I was able to use a card recovery program to restore them all. These programs are normally free to evaluate, but charge to restore services. I don't remember the name of the one I used, but it was somewhere between $30-$40. This is an option if you really need to save your pictures. 

If the card is still malfunctioning, you do have a warranty on the card itself. For SanDisk cards, contact SanDisk directly at 866-726-3475. If the card does not have a name on it, contact Motorola at 800-734-5870.

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

MarquiaF_VZW wrote:

Jephro, I know how important it can be to save your data from your SD card. If the card cannot be read on the phone or a computer, then other options for restoring data would be using 3rd party recovery programs. There are several out there that may work as long as you haven't formatted your card. I had similar issue happen to me once while on vacation. My card became corrupted and I thought I would lose all my pictures. I was able to use a card recovery program to restore them all. These programs are normally free to evaluate, but charge to restore services. I don't remember the name of the one I used, but it was somewhere between $30-$40. This is an option if you really need to save your pictures. 

amazing....you tell your customers to go and spend an additional sum of $$ to 'try' and recover data, when the freakin cards shouldn't even be failing in the first place, and VZW won't replace them. Wow, your service has gone way downhill if that's the only thing that a VZW rep can say to a customer who has problems with their SD card going blank or returning an unsupported filesystem error is to go spend $30-40 to try and recover data.

my third party SD card that I had to go buy (since VZW wanted to turn their head the other way when the card that the phone CAME with corrupted) has already had problems 3 times since the GB update (that's a total of 2 months time) with unsupported filesystem errors, but atleast it hasn't fully corrupted. Sorry but I really think the better resolution or response for something like this 'we are aware there is a problem' and then take the handful of posts from this forum (I have seen several related to bad SD cards in the DX) as well as whatever you can find via a Google search and send it up to your engineers to say 'why are all these cards (both originally supplied cards and third party cards) failing in a Droid X, most since the upgrade to Gingerbread". I doubt that they really want to try and figure out the problem on a 2 year old phone, but I truly believe that VZW and Moto created this problem with the mess of an OS upgrade that was pushed to our phones, and that we're not allowed to revert back to Froyo because of

0 Likes
Not applicable

Keiffers, the person I was responding to was trying to find a way to recover the information lost on their SD card. This issue has been reported to both our product team and Motorola, but at this time there has not been an issue found with the phone or new SD cards. I can give the user a generic, "We are looking into this and at this time there is nothing we can do about your data" or I can try to provide some personal insight into what he can do to recover data. I understand not everyone will want to download software to recover their info and I don't expect them to. In those cases, they can try to format the card or replace it. In that case, they would lose everything on the card. So if the information on the SD card is not important or is already backed up, you don't have to follow those steps. But if you were in a situation like the one I mentioned, where the data on your card is not saved or backed up and it is very important to you, I'm sure you would appreciate a way to restore it. 

0 Likes
RobPeriod

So, bottom line, what is someone to do if their phone is now telling them that the "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem"?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

RobPeriod wrote:

So, bottom line, what is someone to do if their phone is now telling them that the "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem"?

Test the card in another phone or a card reader on the computer. The next step would depend on if you can successfully read the card through those alternate methods.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hlturner

mine wont read apps that i downloaded directly onto the card like my nursing central, no pics, no videos, no ring tones, no nothing.  i had over a thousand pics of my new born baby girl on that card, never thought i'd have a problem like this.  haven't formatted the card yet, hanging on to hope.  any new ideas?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I assume you read thru this thread with other suggestions ?  Like power off & remove card, reinsert & power up?  Connect phone via USB to PC ?  Have you tried all that already?

0 Likes
Cookiecrazy

I am having the same problem. I tried rebooting, taking the battery out, connecting to the pc, deleting the mass storage and i finally gave up. I formatted the card because I wanted to take pictures. BUT nothing changed. The error message is still there! I tried formatting & mounting it several times but still nothing. I don't know what to do.. I'm going to try my luck with a verizon store tonight.

0 Likes