SIM card South America does not work on my phone
GER1

I have unlocked my phone because I want to use it locally when I am in South America. I have a SIM for a local phone company. When I insert the SIM and try to use the phone in GSM mode a message says that there is no SIM installed and switches back to CDMA. Why? I bought a global phone from Verizon with this specific requirement in mind. I was persistent with the sales person explaining EXACTLY what I needed. That is the only reason I bought this phone. What is going on here?

0 Likes
Re: SIM card South America does not work on my phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello GER1!  Other than having the problems using your device, I hope you’re enjoying your stay in South America!  I can provide support for global SIM’s provided by Verizon Wireless; however I don’t have support for using 3rd party International SIM Cards.  Have you tested your device using a Verizon Wireless SIM card?  Let me suggest checking the Network Mode Setting http://bit.ly/IGT1DS  Also verify the SIM you’re using is compatible with your device.  Thanks for posting!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: SIM card South America does not work on my phone
GER1

Thanks for the response. I do not have a Verizon SIM nor access to one. I did not know that I needed one and if it would serve the purpose for which I bought a so-called 'global phone.' When I renewed my contract, I speciically asked if during my extended stays in South America I could use a local phone company SIM to make local calls. I would never have 'upgraded' from my Motorola Droid had I known that this would be the result. With respect to a Verizon SIM, if I had one, would I pay Verizon for making local calls here in South America? This is really a nightmare. I wanted a phone that I could use here. I kept my Verizon plan because it serves me in the U.S.

0 Likes