Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Software Updates
RobVZ74

I have two questions about updates:

(1)  How much should I be concerned about software updates for my Droid that include a feature that "dials phone numbers without [my] intervention"especially since the disclaimer also says that malicious software might access that feature?  And can I toggle that part of the software off if I download the update package?

(2)  Where updates list "features that cost you money," will I be notifed when I am accessing a feature that costs?

0 Likes
Re: Software Updates
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

RobVZ74 wrote:

I have two questions about updates:

(1)  How much should I be concerned about software updates for my Droid that include a feature that "dials phone numbers without [my] intervention"especially since the disclaimer also says that malicious software might access that feature?  And can I toggle that part of the software off if I download the update package?

This is a required function if you are using a 3rd party dialer or any application that can call or access contacts information to be able to contact your contacts quickly...  This is the fun that comes with technology...  Apps need to access the information to do what you want.... 

Where is the issue if the update gives you the option to disable this feature, if you have been using the software before this option it has been allowed to access this information already?

(2)  Where updates list "features that cost you money," will I be notifed when I am accessing a feature that costs?

This is usually referencing to data use if app has option that use the web.  Any option that the device access that you do not have covered on you monthly server will fall under this item, like text message, send email. access online account information.

This really covers a large area and under most cases if you have a smartphone you wont get any addiction charges but they have to report this as a possibility so no legal action is available.

If you see this as a issue you may want to read the agreement completely before agreeing to using the app because they usually cover everything in detail for you..

0 Likes