Re: Text Message Notifications
BEvans1212
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took mine into the Verizon store and they performed a hard reset and it went away.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issues jiltersk. If you retained all your apps during the OS update, we do recommend a hard reset. http://vz.to/1dBVfnN

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

Babynurse350

I was having this problem for a couple of days, so today I tried the phone reset (not sure what the process is actually called - reboot, maybe?), that is done by holding down the volume down button and the power button at the same time until the phone powered down.  When it came back on, the annoying phantom text message notification was gone and has not returned.

0 Likes
PoppyGolem
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay I too have this same issue during the snowstorm.  Was doing a SMS to notify all my employees not to come in to work.  My message icon (default) shows I have 1 text unread.  When I open my messages, there is not one there.  I have deleted all my text messages, deleted all my voicemails, checked all my emails, performed the "soft reset", cleared the cache and data from Badger and Messaging under Apps.  I really really really do not want to do a "hard reset" to fix this issue. 

Any ideas what causes this and how to fix?  The Verizon Tech support team over phone is of no help.  I might be a little OCD when it comes to my phone.  The annoying icon saying you have an unread text message and you actually do not gives me such a headache because I think it's one of my employees trying to reach me for an issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PoppyGolem, I'd like to bring an end to that headache. You have tried most of the things I would do to resolve that issue. There are some other things I can suggest to try before performing a factory reset. Start by performing a force stop and clear data for messaging and badger applications. Power the phone off and use the alternative boot. Clear the cache partition http://bit.ly/1eKkPD4 and reboot. Then retest.

If the text notification is still there after clearing the cache partition, try the safe mode: http://vz.to/1mpMmnp . If the problem disappears while in safemode then it is likely a third party application causing the trouble. Selectively uninstall applications until the problem is resolved. If the text notification is still present in safemode then a factory reset would be the next logical step. Hope that helps!

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

jlitersk
Enthusiast - Level 1

None of this has worked for me, and mine is now up to 2 unread messages that cannot clear?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

O wow! Just to clarify, you've opened all message threads, cleared cache from Messages, and completed a factory reset? Have you checked voicemail as well?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
blackhatal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue on the new droid maxx as well. The problem started over a month ago and I've tried all of the above solutions except a full reset to no avail.

However, a few days ago the notification started showing two unread messages instead of one. I cleared the cache partition through the boot options menu as described above and that cleared one of the two message but I'm still left with one unread message when all of them are read.

Just like everybody else here, I don't have any 3rd party messaging apps installed. I have a suspicion that the problem lies in group mms, specifically from iPhone users as both times this happened, I was an innocent bystander to group MMS conversions between iphones. I also think it may be a server side issue since the issue doesn't come up for a minute or so after I reboot the phone, even after all other functions of the phone are running.

00joe
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is to solve the issue of a DROID MINI that is experiencing a "ghost" text message icon indicator.  Ie there is an indicator of 1 or more, despite the fact that there are no unread messages.  Please confirm this works for other phones.

Step 1) Make sure you have an app that can act as a temporary message application.  "Google Hangouts" worked for me.

Step 2) Settings > Apps(all) > Messaging > Disable      **this will be a temporary disable, all messages will be retained**

Step 3) Reboot the phone.  Hold down the power button until it turns off.

Step 4) Settings > Apps(all) > Disabled apps > Enable messaging app

Step 5) Your phone will have automatically chosen the next available messaging application (in my case google hangouts).

Step 6) Change your default messenger = Google hangouts > Settings > SMS > (at the top) hangout is your default, touch to change.

Worked for me.

good luck!

p.s.  if this doesn't work try a hard re-boot in place of normal reboot by holding down the power and volume up button simultaneously for 20 seconds.

00joe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. Read below.

0 Likes