The Droid is a power sucking vampire
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I've had mine since the first day...

When I bring it into Verizon they slobber all over it because I'm one of the few customers who've cusomized the hell out of it - background, widgets, etc...

BUT.

My power drains super quickly.

Now that I have it sit in the dock it's not a MAJOR issue.  But this IS the issue.   The house we are renting must be made out of anti-cellphone materials because when we had the crackberry we could barely make calls and the Droid can make them but has places in the house where it just gives me network errors.

The Verizon rep said to buy the Verizon Wireless Network Extender and that would solve my problems.

It's $250.  I researched them and it's a reasonable price.

Will it work?  Is it worth it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
11/9/09 - Tips and Hints to help better manage battery life.
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

11/9/09 - Tips and Hints to help  better manage battery life.

• It may take several charging cycles for the battery to reach optimum performance.

• The battery charger shipped with this device is a high rate charger specifically designed for the Motorola Droid.

• The Power Control Widget displays a quick snapshot of some of the tools that can be optimized to conserve your battery. The widget provides information on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location (GPS), Synchronization, and Display.  To add the Widget, from the home screen, touch Menu => Add => Widgets => Power Control.

• The Battery Use feature provides a real time view of what features or applications are using the highest percentage of battery. It also provides tips on modifying these features or applications, e.g. click on Display to change reduce brightness and/or screen timeout. To access Battery Use, from the home screen, touch Menu => Settings => About Phone = > Battery use.

• Turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off when not in use.

• If using Exchange Active Sync email, change settings to download email less frequently. Press Menu => Account Settings =>Email check frequency.

• Close any third party applications running in the background that are not needed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: The Droid is a power sucking vampire
earlw33

I am confused.  Is your question about the fact that a palm sized computer with 2 possessors, wifi, bluetooth and lots of other stuff takes a lot of power?  Especially when you ad widgets and programs that run and suck power.

Or is your question about a problem with cell service at your house?

If your question is really about using the range extenders, I can say get 1 and give it a try.  Make sure it has the same 30 return policy as the phones in case it does not work.

There is some programs you can download that will show you how much energy is being used.  Turning off Wifi and bluetooth will help.

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

My question was intended to solve the problem without spending $250.00..

How are other people who are running their Droids like I am doing with power?  No problem? 

Do you find that even without talking the battery drains fast if you have widgets up and running.

Does GPS and WiFi etc... really take up THAT much power.

I want to know what other droid users are experiencing so I have a baseline.

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Honestly, I've had better battery life out of the Droid than I've seen from any other smartphone I've ever owned (two PalmOS devices, three Windows Mobile phones, three iPhones and a G1 -- by way of explanation, I do mobile development for my day job, so I have some justification for having these many random phones floating around).  The battery life has been one of the things I've been most impressed by.

However, many phones will chew power when they're trying to obtain signal.  I'd be curious to see if your phone has a better battery life if you were somewhere with a good, solid consistent signal, rather than in a house made of 'cell signal killing materials,' as you suggested.

0 Likes
yewslus

One of the few issues I have is that some apps don't seem to have a QUIT command, so when you home out of them, the app stays running.  If it's Maps are something like that, then your GPS service stays on, too.

I downloaded Advanced App Killer and use it to "clear the air" after a Droiding session.  It seems to help.

I also have a toggle for my WiFi, and I keep it off unless I know I'm at a location where I can connect.

But I've been LOL using the CARP out of this thing, so yeah, the battery drops like a lead weight.  But it does charge pretty quickly...

Good luck.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yes Wifi and GPS drain battery.  It isn't that they so much take the battery themselves but when you add all the processing, the gps, the wifi always on, and the screen backlight all drain it.  You add it all up and it can drain it.  I think the wifi toggle and gps toggle are good widgits. 

0 Likes
powderhoundrich

+1 on taskiller.  I was shocked by how much was running in the background.  Also, as others have said, make sure that your gps/wifi isn't going when you don't need it.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Install "Spare Parts" and view your Partial Wake Usage. That will tell you if its a rogue application that's sucking your battery.

Also, it doesn't matter how many apps and widgets you install... once you lock your screen they should all SLEEP.. again unless you have a poorly designed app installed.

The only thing tons of widgets do is give some lag when you first unlock the phone as they all are coming awake at the same time and updating as needed. I recommend only having only 1 or 2 simple widgets on your main home screen... or even none... makes waking up your phone quicker...

Also, go to settings--> about--> status and scroll to the bottom, it will list your awake time vs. total up time.. it should be a relatively low percent.. mine is 14% with 59 hours up time.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

When my friend got the G1, he had the same power problem. After doing some research online, he found a site that suggested draining the battery completely and then recharging it fully before turning it back on again.

He turned on everything he could that drains the battery (GPS, WiFi, etc.) and played a game until it turned itself off from lack of power, then charged it overnight. He noticed a marked improvement in battery life the next day, so he did it again. It does "cap out" after a while (obviously, no battery is infinite), but doing it once or twice can help a lot. He now has no complaints about the battery life.

Also, make sure you are turning things like GPS and WiFi off when you're not using them. :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
11/9/09 - Tips and Hints to help better manage battery life.
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

11/9/09 - Tips and Hints to help  better manage battery life.

• It may take several charging cycles for the battery to reach optimum performance.

• The battery charger shipped with this device is a high rate charger specifically designed for the Motorola Droid.

• The Power Control Widget displays a quick snapshot of some of the tools that can be optimized to conserve your battery. The widget provides information on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location (GPS), Synchronization, and Display.  To add the Widget, from the home screen, touch Menu => Add => Widgets => Power Control.

• The Battery Use feature provides a real time view of what features or applications are using the highest percentage of battery. It also provides tips on modifying these features or applications, e.g. click on Display to change reduce brightness and/or screen timeout. To access Battery Use, from the home screen, touch Menu => Settings => About Phone = > Battery use.

• Turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off when not in use.

• If using Exchange Active Sync email, change settings to download email less frequently. Press Menu => Account Settings =>Email check frequency.

• Close any third party applications running in the background that are not needed.

0 Likes