USB Device Not Recognized
Agent_Smith

I have seen people complain about this with other android phones but not the D2G and the solutions others have found helpful have not worked for me.

Today I did a factory reset to my phone, the first I've done since the gingerbread update. I attached my phone (via factory usb cable) to my laptop (Windows 7 32 bit). I immediately get a bubble saying,

"USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it".

The phone does not charge, and the storage device does not show up on my computer. I tried rebooting the phone many times, rebooting the laptop, installing the driver from motorola, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver (several times), enabling/disabling "USB debugging" on the phone - which does bring up the option on the phone for "USB Connection" where you can select PC Mode, Media sync, mass storage, or charge only", I've tried switching between them but nothing changes, the computer still won't recognize that anything is attached.

I then tried plugging it into my high performance i7 PC with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem. I installed the motorola drivers there, same error, same behavior. Other USB devices work fine. So I know it is not an issue with the computers, it is with the phone.

I then did another factory reset on the phone and tried with the laptop again and same problem. I've tried pulling the sd card and reinserting. I've tried plugging into other usb ports. I've tried mounting and unmounting the sd card in the settings. Nothing changes.

I did not have this problem before gingerbread, I was able to transfer mp3s from my computer to my phone a few weeks ago.

The solutions others have found seem all over the board and have not worked for me. It seems to be just random that if you mess around with it long enough (at least in the other people's cases) it will eventually work. I screwed with it for a couple hours last night and nothing changed.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: USB Device Not Recognized
aninkling

I just put out an entry Duane Leet Mar 20, 2012 9:24 AM with same issue.  I hope that we can get a definitive answer.  It is clear we are not inept at trying to fix the problem, so it is a real problem and significant. 

0 Likes