VZW Veteran - Best Hotspot/Tethering Plan
MBD

I have been interested in using my phone to provide 3G access for my laptop. My current phone does not have that capabillity and needs an upgrade so I am looking at all of my options now. The Palm Pre Plus offers an excellent plan, an excellent OS, but I am not persuaded by the phone itself. It is dated, questionable battery life, and Sales staff have pretty much intimated that it is not a reliable phone that one can have long term confidence in. So I am looking at the Droid X and also considering the Sprint EVO.

I have been trying to find out what the Hotspot Plan for the Droid X is. I have read it will be $25 with  a 2GB cap and then the good old Verizon $50 per GB overage fee. If that is the case then the Sprint EVO with a 5GB soft cap (no overage fees just reduction in throughput speeds) that from people I have spoken to who use Sprint tell me is only enforced if you realy go nuts like 15GB + for a month or two. I have to say I think Sprint gets it in terms of understanding useage. In my case anyway my laptop useage is going to be no differnt than my smartphone useage, it will just be nice to take advantage of the larger screen when I have my laptop with me.

I would like to stay with Verizon, and I like the Droid X so far on paper, but Sprint offers a better plan both in terms of fewer restrictions, greater data allowance, and basicaly more considerate way of doing business (ie. throttling or temporarily stopping service vs. excessive overage fees).

0 Likes
Re: VZW Veteran - Best Hotspot/Tethering Plan
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

We can't talk about the best ways to do it.  We don't know what the plan will be for tethering the Droid X or any other Droid phone once the 2.2 update rolls out with that capability built in.  What will the restrictions be, the rate for doing so, the limitations on doing so, the costs?  There are a lot of questions and personally I think it is all still being discussed.  Probably some talks are going on as to whether it will be allowed in toto, allowed for a fee but less than the normal $30 a month for the 5GB mobile connect, or if it will just be the normal fee.  I imagine it will be a more difficult discussion for Verizon since the main competition is AT&T and AT&T is going to offer $20 tethering for any phone capable of it.  Their rate prices look good but are more limiting than anyone else is doing. 

A lot will be speculation, rumors, and guesswork on what the plans will look like for DX.  I imagine it will be somewhat like the Incredible with a Verizon Connect app installed allowing for VZW tethering.  Google is your best source for further information.  This is a sensitive subject here. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38036522

this article mentions that the x can be a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices for a vzn fee of $20/month. i don't know how accurate it is. i know the inc can tether with usb (for a similar fee) and a rumor i just read said that the htc inc was getting an upgrade to allow it to be a wifi hot spot as well (and hd video recording). but it was just a rumor on google.....so who knows? the article is from cnbc and i would HOPE that it's an accurate description of the X and wifi ability.

0 Likes
rydiwags

It is $20/month. It has been all over the web about the price and I think they even mentioned the price when they reveled the X!!! As for the rest of the questions I have no clue!!!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

and you're right about the palms. there is a reason vzn offered them to many of us for $29 (w/o an eligible upgrade even) and threw in wifi ability for NO charge. they got stuck with a TON of inferior devices.

0 Likes