Was the Bionic recalled?
amberlove

I was told by a friend that the Droid Bionic (Motorola) was recalled. It's a garbage phone that I have dealt with for a year now through updates, reboots, and terrible customer service. My friend was informed of the recall at a Verizon retailer in New Jersey. I never received any kind of email or notification about this. If the phone is recalled what is the deal? Is there an upgrade we don't have to wait for?

I'd appreciate an answer other than "you can buy a full price phone anytime" or "did you try..." because clearly through all these threads you can see this phone is garbage.

0 Likes
Re: Was the Bionic recalled?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As far as I know, there is no recall on the Bionic.  You should have recently received the Ice Cream Sandwich update, and Jelly Bean should arrive soon.  For the record, I've never had any issues with my Bionic and love it.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

The Bionic is great, I've had no trouble with it, and it's even better after ICS.

And most people agree with that.

What about all the complaints here?  Well, there are thousands and thousands of Bionics in use, so the fact that only a few dozen people have issues pretty-much shows how good the Bionic is...except in the hands of a few dozen people.  Since the laws of physics and software logic (the principles that govern the functioning of the Bionic) apply equally everywhere, then if some people are having trouble with their Bionic while most people aren't having trouble, then the problem must be with the people, since people aren't equal everywhere. Do you realize that half the population has an I.Q under 100? It's true! Scary...

It's more likely that there's something wrong with those people than that the laws of physics vary in different places.

0 Likes
elizabethamber

<Post deleted per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello amberlove!

I'm so sorry for the bad luck you've had with the Bionic. I can confirm the device has NOT been recalled and continues to be one of our most popular devices. Have you received the recent Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwic) update? Can you elaborate on the specifics of your concerns? I'm here to help!

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
elizabethamber

Everything has updated. It stopped rebooting on its own. Still exceptionally slow. Twitter & Facebook crash all the time when trying to refresh/reload.

Also, why can't I uninstall stuff I don't ever use?

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When did you update to ICS?

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

>Post deleted<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

I agree with you the Bionic. Sucks I use to have one returned it the same day due to many issues. So sorry to hear about your problem. All Vzw cares about is money money money they don't care about the people

0 Likes
theblank
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry, but that's a very close-minded, dare I say indoctrinated response. Where do you get the notion that only a few dozen people have been having issues? I find posts about it everywhere. There have been tech news articles, entire threads devoted to troubleshooting this addled device. Even Motorola have made public statements acknowledging the cacophony of issues with this phone while promising to "look into" fixing them.

This is much more wide spread than just a few people of questionable ability/intelligence.

Take my experience, for example: I'm a computer science major. I've worked with technology for over a decade, and I've owned several smartphones. I've worked in the cellphone industry with troubleshooting, sales, and testing. I am not your average smart phone owner by any stretch of the imagination. However, I have had nothing but issues with the Bionic since I've owned it. I've even had it directly swapped free of charge twice because Verizon acknowledged that there was something fundamentally wrong with the phone. I can't tell you how tired I've become of hearing "we know there is an issue with this phone, and an update is in the works," from all tiers of service.

All three of my Bionic phones have had the same issues:

1.) Dropping signal a multiple times a day, upwards of 20+ and in many different areas. From full 4G down to nothing.

2.) Core applications locking and crashing non-stop

3.) Camera locking while in use and requiring battery removal to recover.

4.) Disconnecting from wifi despite being 2 feet from the router, and forgetting the wifi password.

5.) Rebooting itself multiple times a day

6.) Generally abysmal performance at random times, even after a full reformat with no additional apps installed. (It shouldn't take 2 minutes for the dialer program to instantiate).

7.) Not sending or receiving text messages until several hours, if not days later, even with the stock messaging app.

8.) Crashing and locking just from hitting the power button to shut down the screen...(one of my favorites)

9.) The new smart actions application causing the Android OS to run much harder than is necessary, taking my up time from 28+ hours (extended battery) down to 6.

10.) Screen tracking issues randomly popping up, making navigating the phone impossible and requiring a restart.

Every single Bionic I've had has had some form of these issues, and the current one is only getting worse. There is nothing that I'm doing to the phone, this is just how it "works." Yes, I've run into people that haven't had any issue with their Bionic, but from my experience talking to other former owners, these people are the lucky ones.

Undoubtedly there are more people that have a good experience with the Bionic than those that have a poor one. However, the sheer number of types of issues, and how often I run across people having issues indicate that as a whole, this phone is a failure. Remember that with technology consistency is the important aspect. If a phone can't maintain a high 90% reliability and usability "rating" amongst it's users, it's a failure. I am, of course, talking about repeatable and demonstrable issues, not the occasional bad unit.

I personally cannot wait to get rid of this absolute travesty of a phone.