What a rip off.....
Wiletoo
Newbie

The Droid, as with the Blackberry, costs an additional $30/mo?  What if I don't want data, e-mail, etc.  I just want the phone, but I'm being forced to pay for an upgrade to get data.  This is a complete scam and just another way to suck every dollar out of people. 

 

Thanks Verizon!!  Contract is almost up....it's time to switch to another carrier.

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
75 Replies
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I saw a brilliant analogy for this on another forum:

 

A smartphone without a data plan is as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

 

0 Likes
Reply
palmuser4
Newbie

One more valid point.  My daughter has an iPod that she finds extremely useful.  Why isn't an iPod as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle without a force fed data plan?  Did Apple not think this through, or is Verizon just arrogant?

0 Likes
Reply
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

you're replying to a thread that's over 2 years old.  i hate when that happens.

0 Likes
Reply
palmuser4
Newbie

It's still a valid issue, only now Verizon is turning up the wick on heavy users of the smartphone.  Instant gratification is going to cost more than $30/month.

0 Likes
Reply
palmuser4
Newbie

Wrong.  The problem with today's dumb phones is they are not as useful as an old Palm.  That Palm would allow you to put addresses into the contact list, as well as birthday and anniversary reminders....not today's dumb phone.  The calendar in the Palm was a very useful date book....much better than any of today's dumb phones.  I could read and edit MS Word and Excel files that I offloaded from my PC....no way you can do that with a dumb phone today.  You need a smartphone for those basic functions, but you sure don't need a data plan as well, and with the proliferation of free WiFi hot spots, you can do a lot more without a data plan.  Most of people I know with a smartphone are paying $30/month for instant gratification.  I can't rationalize it, so I carry around my old Palm and a dumb phone. 

0 Likes
Reply
spotlight00
Newbie

Why would anyone want a smart phone without the data plan anyway?  Pointless!  Additionally, I pay for unlimited data with Verizon as a separate package (big deal, it's all the same bill anyway) and pay $20 LESS a month than Sprints "all inclusive" package.

0 Likes
Reply
hol_eliz
Newbie

 

Clearly those of you complaining about data plans on smartphones don't understand the whole concept behind smartphones.  They use DATA surprise surprise.  Even texting is data. If you paid PER MB you are looking at a couple hundred dollars per browsing session.  Downloading a single email can burn up a lot of data.  Imagine that several times a day, week and month.   A Blackberry, Palm, Droid, Windows phone etc is USELESS without data.  Whats the status symbol of whipping out a Blackberry or Droid really gonna do for you if all you can do is call on it?  If thats all you want to pay for, get a simple feature phone.

 

0 Likes
Reply
innocent93
Newbie

Verizon isn't doing anything that Alltel didn't do. With Alltel , when I had regular  cells on the family plan.

It was $10 a month for the second phone. When we purchased smartphones. Alltel charged an extra $20 per phone

per month.

 

Verizon is $10 more  per line. Yes, it's more expensive than Alltel. .. Alltel wasn't giving you data at no charge.

0 Likes
Reply
ACTrack03
Newbie

Wow there is a lot of crying in this thread.  If you don't see the need for a data plan with this phone then you have no idea what the Droid is all about.  It is a mobile mulit-media/information resource with a phone feature.  I do agree that it is also a phone and has to act as such but the phone portion is only a small piece of it's capabilities.  I inderstand that when you multiply $30 a month by 24 months is $720 but for what that gives you, thats cheap in my book.  I didn't even bat an eye when they told me how much the data plan was going to run me even back on my Moto Q or my BB storm and that $45 back then for unlimited data didn't get me as much as the $30 data package for the Droid can deliver(because of the number of things you can do with the Droid that you can't with the other phones). 

0 Likes
Reply
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't usually bother with these type of threads, but what the heck....

 

Some people you just cannot please no matter what you do.  I have lived long enough to have figured that out.  Normally, it's just  'water off a duck's back' to me.  Just for grins, though, I thought I'd chime in.

 

There are some people that, if you gave them a phone with a 650 gigahertz processor, 64 gig of computational ram, with  a 3 terabyte SSD drive and a 4" display with 2000x1000 resolution, that cost them $1.00 a month without a contract and unlimited dual T3 connections, only weighed 2 ounces, and was waterproof to 300 feet, they would complain that it was a **bleep** and someone was trying to rip them off because it didn't come with a free toaster as a signing bonus.

 

(ducking for cover)  :smileytongue:

0 Likes
Reply
supitsmike
Specialist - Level 2

GreySeal wrote:

I don't usually bother with these type of threads, but what the heck....

 

Some people you just cannot please no matter what you do.  I have lived long enough to have figured that out.  Normally, it's just  'water off a duck's back' to me.  Just for grins, though, I thought I'd chime in.

 

There are some people that, if you gave them a phone with a 650 gigahertz processor, 64 gig of computational ram, with  a 3 terabyte SSD drive and a 4" display with 2000x1000 resolution, that cost them $1.00 a month without a contract and unlimited dual T3 connections, only weighed 2 ounces, and was waterproof to 300 feet, they would complain that it was a **bleep** and someone was trying to rip them off because it didn't come with a free toaster as a signing bonus.

 

(ducking for cover)  :smileytongue:


 

How dare they challenge my bread toasting experience?!

0 Likes
Reply
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wiletoo wrote:

The Droid, as with the Blackberry, costs an additional $30/mo?  What if I don't want data, e-mail, etc.  I just want the phone, but I'm being forced to pay for an upgrade to get data.  This is a complete scam and just another way to suck every dollar out of people. 

 

Thanks Verizon!!  Contract is almost up....it's time to switch to another carrier.

 

 


This phone is built to be connected at all times. I still don't understand why anyone would want a smartphone and not a data plan. Just get an iPod Touch if all you want is wi-fi and apps.
0 Likes
Reply
mofia88
Newbie

You need to learn that smartphones are for smart people.The droid constantly accesses the internet for data. You can run widgets 24/7 with weather,sports, and news updates in real time.The droid is accessing the internet to get that data it does not magically come out of the air.Verizon use to offer pay as you go on smartphones at .015cents / kb.The reason why they got rid of it is because too many customer's not realizing how often their phone was on the internet. I have an eris and it has used 240,000kb in 10 days.I work 10 hours a day and don't have time to play with my phone. That is just base usage for getting realtime info.My droid usage on the pay as u go kb plan would be $3600 for 10 days or about $11000 for a month.I think I would rather just pay the $30 wouldn't you.Great job on verizon's part not letting the customer's screw themselves by getting rid of the pay as you go data plans on smartphones.I would much rather buy a car with that $11000 than pay verizon because I am **bleep** and don't realize how my phone works.

0 Likes
Reply
bro4321
Newbie

How about this scenrio?

 

I'm a twenty year old college student who lives on a campus that has complete wifi coverage. Hence I spend about 90% of my time within wifi coverage.

 

My original thoughts were like this:

 

Hmmmmmmmm.... Google's Droid looks nice. *Plays with a HTC Droid phone in a Verizon store* Oh yeah I could get this thing; heck, it even comes with wifi. I can finally replace my ipod touch that I've been keeping in my right pocket for the past two years and just be a left pocket phone man!!!!!!

 

Oh, I'm required to get an expensive data plan that I would never use.... or need. Nevermind that.

 

 

Too cheap you say? It'll cost me what,$250 for a smart phone? Then it'll cost me either another $240 or $720 across my two year contract for a service that I neither want, need, nor use, doubling or quadrupling the price of that phone.

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
supitsmike
Specialist - Level 2

bro4321 wrote:

How about this scenrio?

 

I'm a twenty year old college student who lives on a campus that has complete wifi coverage. Hence I spend about 90% of my time within wifi coverage.

 

My original thoughts were like this:

 

Hmmmmmmmm.... Google's Droid looks nice. *Plays with a HTC Droid phone in a Verizon store* Oh yeah I could get this thing; heck, it even comes with wifi. I can finally replace my ipod touch that I've been keeping in my right pocket for the past two years and just be a left pocket phone man!!!!!!

 

Oh, I'm required to get an expensive data plan that I would never use.... or need. Nevermind that.

 

 

Too cheap you say? It'll cost me what,$250 for a smart phone? Then it'll cost me either another $240 or $720 across my two year contract for a service that I neither want, need, nor use, doubling or quadrupling the price of that phone.

 

 


 

 

Or how about this scenario*:

 

I was out with my brother yesterday looking for a place where a party was. He had no idea where to look, yet I used Google Navigation to find our way to the apartment at which we had Bud Light and Doritos watitng for us.

 

At one point or another, you're going to use the Data Plan whether it be for a second, or not. And think about it this way: Unless the bandwidth in your school along with it's ISP gives wifi at 100mbps+, you can count on the other X amount of students thinking the same thing you are.

 

Assumptively if you and the rest of your student body roughly share the same schedual, then I would guess that many kids are on that Wi-Fi that you seemingly think is always going to run fantastically. Could you scale that along with Verizon's service and it's 3G? Sure, but that technology, which can send out more mbps, makes the Wifi-and-internet-to-a-student-body pale in comparison.

 

Either way, you either buy the data plan or you don't. And if buying the Data Plan is too 'expensive' for you then perhaps Android or any phone that can give push notifications isn't for you.

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
critterpainter

I think everyone is missing the TRUE rip-off.  The Droids are a great computer...But SUCK as a phone. The cheapest phone out there performs more tricks than the phone on the Droid.  Can I get just the data plan for the droid and re-activate my old razor as a phone and drop the phone service on the droid??   All ANY competitor has to do is show a video if the gyrations one has to go through to call from a sleeping droid while driving.....its NOT SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!! My old razor may not tell me where the nearest gas station is but I didn't have to do a cop check to place a call!!!

 

Bill

0 Likes
Reply
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2

 


critterpainter wrote:

I think everyone is missing the TRUE rip-off.  The Droids are a great computer...But SUCK as a phone. The cheapest phone out there performs more tricks than the phone on the Droid.  Can I get just the data plan for the droid and re-activate my old razor as a phone and drop the phone service on the droid??   All ANY competitor has to do is show a video if the gyrations one has to go through to call from a sleeping droid while driving.....its NOT SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!! My old razor may not tell me where the nearest gas station is but I didn't have to do a cop check to place a call!!!

 

Bill


 

 

Um....ever think of not making a call while driving period? It's illegal in a lot of places now....for a REASON.

 

I can't believe you actually argued that the Droid sucks as a phone because it's not easy to use while driving, and therefore is unsafe. Wow.

 

Heeeeere's your sign.

0 Likes
Reply
critterpainter

Zehan:

   What I was trying to say is that Verizon (and their sales staff) were more than a bit tight-lipped about the fact that you CANNOT use the phone in the car without pulling over.  Thats like buying a new sports car and finding out that...ooops  you have to crank-start the engine because a starter was overlooked.

   As a first-time smartphone user I am not pleased with the phone itself.  I thought I was upgrading my phone and my service when I went with the Droid.  I didn't realize that my old razor was more user friendly---and legal to use on Kalif roads while the Droid....not so much.  And NO I don't use it while driving.

   And I don't understand the crying about data service???  Buying a phone that is the data king and not using that feature is like buying a new car and hiding it in the garage and not licensing for the road.

 

Bill

0 Likes
Reply
supitsmike
Specialist - Level 2

critterpainter wrote:

Zehan:

   What I was trying to say is that Verizon (and their sales staff) were more than a bit tight-lipped about the fact that you CANNOT use the phone in the car without pulling over.  Thats like buying a new sports car and finding out that...ooops  you have to crank-start the engine because a starter was overlooked.

   As a first-time smartphone user I am not pleased with the phone itself.  I thought I was upgrading my phone and my service when I went with the Droid.  I didn't realize that my old razor was more user friendly---and legal to use on Kalif roads while the Droid....not so much.  And NO I don't use it while driving.

   And I don't understand the crying about data service???  Buying a phone that is the data king and not using that feature is like buying a new car and hiding it in the garage and not licensing for the road.

 

Bill


You have been awarded 10 points.

0 Likes
Reply
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

ever notice that the people who are objecting to the data plan are One and Done posters?

 

me thinks there is a troll on the prowl.

 

hey mod, close this thread please

0 Likes
Reply