What are my options for an out of warranty but defective Droid X2? All Input is Appreciated.
steelersfan13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, I currently have a droid X2 that has pretty much been glitchy ever since I got it. It had always been tolerable, but recently the Wi-Fi drops every 5 minutes and some text messages I send are never received by the recipient, even though my phone gives me nothing saying that there was some kind of error. I really can't have non-working Wi-Fi or always be wondering if my text messages made it through, so I need to do something about it.

Both issues are fairly hard to consistently reproduce, given the nature of each and the situation required. So I am concerned if I take it into a shop it's not something that I can definitively prove is broken...

The problem is the phone is about 14 months old, so it is out of warranty but before my scheduled two-year upgrade.

Has anyone been in this position before? What does Verizon do if you send them your phone with a defect and it's out of warranty? Will you be billed for a new one, or will they offer you a Replacement phone of equal or lesser value for free or something?

Any and all info is appreciated, thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Re: What are my options for an out of warranty but defective Droid X2? All Input is Appreciated.
Not applicable

Your phone is out of warranty, so you can't return it to Verizon.  If you have insurance with Asurion, they may replace it for you, but it doesn't sound like you do.  Basically, I would start by doing a factory reset and see if that helps.  You could return it to the manufacturer for repair, but that would take a while and they would charge you, so it's probably not worth it.  It sounds like you need to purchase a new phone or a refurbished used phone.  Or you could purchase a phone from someone on Ebay or similiar place. 

Some people will actually add another line to their account and buy a new subsidized phone from Verizon.  You would be stuck with 2 contracts, but could put a basic phone on 1 of the lines and get the cost down to approximately $14.50 per month for the extra line.

If you have unlimited data and want to keep unlimited data, you will have to pay full retail price for any new phone you buy from Verizon.  If you intend to do that, you might as well go ahead and buy a new phone now at full retail price on your existing line of service.  That's what I would do.

Re: What are my options for an out of warranty but defective Droid X2? All Input is Appreciated.
EpJayhawks12
Contributor - Level 1

Do a master reset, fixes most problems you are describing

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

I would try a factory reset. Just make sure you copy/backup any media that is on the internal storage because it will literally return the phone to like the day you bought it.

steelersfan13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, thanks guys.

Yea I'm pretty good with android phones so I had tried a factory reset, cache/davlik cache wipe,

Unfortunately those two problems mentioned above were consistent across every situation, no matter what I did.

That's why I think it must be a hardware issue, as no matter what I did I still got the same issues.

I thought maybe Verizon would replace it if it was an internal hardware problem,  seeing as how my X2 is in mint condition and like new (no drops, bangs, scratches, dents) ; but your responses sound like they wouldn't.

Quite a shame though, I've had regular "dumb" phones that worked well for 4+ years but the three smartphones my family has had all malfunctioned within 1.5 years ....

Thank you all again for your input.

>> comments deleted; discussions concerning rooting, jailbreaking, hacking, etc., are strictly prohibited on this forum <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

They would replace it during the 12 month warranty period if it is defective.

0 Likes
steelersfan13
Enthusiast - Level 3

>> Comments removed to comply with   

Discussion of Moderator activity is to be via Direct Message with the Moderator <<

The Droid X2 line has been plagued with problems and defects, despite it being one of the more expensive smartphones on the market. Why is it that I can be a loyal customer for over ten years, pay hundreds of dollars for a brand new smart phone, and then not have it last until my next upgrade unless i want to pay more to have it fixed?

I was simply trying to explain the lengths to which I had tested and attempted to fix the expensive but poor quality product I had bought from your company, Verizon.

0 Likes
steelersfan13
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL I should have expected this.

This is not really a customer support forum, it's more just for show and for diverting complaints/questions from their main customer service lines.

For actual questions, unless you have never used a smartphone in your life and have a very basic technical issue, this forum is useless.

I came on here respectful and pleasantly surprised Verizon had a support forum, but after realizing anything not pro-Verizon is edited I leave frustrated and bitter.

You wonder why Big Red has such a terrible reputation.

But I guess most of that will be edited too.

0 Likes
Not applicable

This is a customer peer-to-peer forum where Verizon customers try to help other Verizon customers.  Phones are warrantied by the manufacturer for one year.  You could have had it replaced during the first 12 months if it was defective.  After 12 months, it's on you unless you purchased insurance from Asurion.  That's a very reasonable policy and one you agreed to when you accepted your $400 Verizon subsidy and signed your 2 year contract.  When you joined this forum, you agreed to the forum rules.  The moderators will edit your post when you violate the rules.

0 Likes
steelersfan13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your recommendation as to what I should do, "buy a new phone at full retail value. That's what I would do." is nuts. You are aware of how much these phones cost full retail, aren't you? Buying one at full retail is probably the worst option; I hope you aren't advising many people to do this.

But again, lol I'm not sure what expected on here. I guess I was looking for people that have been in this situation before and how they went about the phone replacement/fix process.

I'm done here though.

>> Comments regarding another member's status removed; Verizon representatives are clearly identified by their screen names and avatar <<

>> Comments regarding moderation removed; discussion of moderator activity is not allowed on this public forum <<

0 Likes