What is the best GPS map program
Pearl98

I dropped VZ Navigator when I switch to the Droid X.  I need a recommendation for an app that will replace it and hopefully be better.

Thanks

Diana

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is the best GPS map program
andrewbarron
Enthusiast - Level 3

oh...lol.  Nver knew that.  Yeah...this nav app doesn't do that.  Still an exellent Nav app to say the least.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
andrewbarron
Enthusiast - Level 3

The DX's onboard nav prgram is exellent!  It uses links off of google earth to show pics of your destination and everything.  It has detour and trafic overlays, etc...

0 Likes
Pearl98

I have only had the phone a couple of days and haven't had much time to explore it.  Could you tell me where I can find the onboard program? Geesh, do I sound like an idiot.:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
andrewbarron
Enthusiast - Level 3

Main center-bottom...app  button (triangle with circle around it)...navigation app is a blue arrowhead.  Says navigation under it.  You can even make a shortcut to your main destinations by long tap-holding the screen and then hitting shortcut, then hitting Directions & Navigation....niiiice.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Agreed - the Google NAVIGATION system is superb ... and you don't get ripped off for $10/mo. for VZN Navigator ...

I actually liked Navigator on my old non-smartphone DARE ...  but could not justify the $10/mo. to have it installed.  I think VZN should actually INCLUDE that APP on all Smartphones... or at least Sell it for a 1-time APP 'fee' like other apps ... maybe for like $9.99 or something. VZN Nav *does* have some nice features ...

0 Likes
Pearl98

Found it! It doesn't seem to give me many setting options, ie. change to walking over driving.  Can i change the voice that gives the directions?  Id rather have the "Doid" voice.  The street viiew is a great addition.

0 Likes
andrewbarron
Enthusiast - Level 3

There really aren't any setting changes that can be made...until you have a desitination plugged in. Not much you can do about the voice either.

By walking over driving...are you looking for a GPS tracker that accounts for your walks?  Look for "Runkeeper" in the market.  It's free and allows you to record walks, runs, biking...virtually all exercise...through the GPS, with an active map. 

0 Likes
Pearl98

The VZN let your mode of transportation.  If I was sightseeing I could change the mode to walking and it would give me walking directions to a site rather than driving directions.

0 Likes
andrewbarron
Enthusiast - Level 3

oh...lol.  Nver knew that.  Yeah...this nav app doesn't do that.  Still an exellent Nav app to say the least.

0 Likes
Pearl98

Thank you, you have been very helpful.

Do you know of any apps that may have more bells and whistles then this one?

0 Likes